Innocence - Part 1

The clock on top of the blackboard marked 2:25pm. It was our last period – Psychology; today we were reviewing the topic of fears and phobias. A few students were deeply asleep, and the rest seemed as bored as they could be, except for one student sitting next to me: Jonathan Crane, who was furiously taking notes as usual.

 A few students were deeply asleep, and the rest seemed as bored as they could be, except for one student sitting next to me: Jonathan Crane, who was furiously taking notes as usual

His scribbling was the only sound that could be heard in the classroom, besides Mr. Henderson's voice.

"So, in conclusion for today, just as there are common phobias, there are a few uncommon ones, such as...?" he looked around the classroom expecting for an answer; as if.

"Turophobia" Jonathan casually answered.

"Excellent, Mr. Crane, and that means...?"

"Fear of cheese" Jonathan's usually very quiet and shy, but when it comes to Psychology class, he acquires this sudden confidence; he's so smart.

"Correct" he slightly chuckled then raised an eyebrow, ready to challenge Jonathan. "How about... The fear of riding in a car?"

"Amaxophobia"

"Fear of the color white?"

"Leukophobia" he had a smirk on his face that was clearly saying 'is that all you've got?'.

"Alright, how about... The fear of long words?" there's no way he can remember this one, I thought, but he simply licked his lips and said:

"Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia" I looked at him in awe and bit my lip. Damn. He crossed his arms and leaned back on his desk.

"Impressive, Mr. Crane, very impressive – as usual" he nodded in approval and returned to his desk.

"Don't forget your personal favorites, sir: Gamophobia and Ephebiphobia" Mr. Henderson laughed and nodded just as the bell rang.

"Ah, yes, fear of marriage and teenagers. Good one, Mr. Crane" he said before exiting the classroom.

Everyone was either waking up or picking up their stuff, when out of a sudden, I saw a big figure walk up to Jonathan.

"Yeah, good one... Ichabod Crane" I rolled my eyes as everyone around laughed at Bo Griggs's comment. "Nerd" he elbowed Jonathan as he walked past him, and I decided to step up.

"Careful there, Griggs, you'll end up working for him someday" I casually mentioned and Jonathan smirked at me.

"What makes you think I'd hire him in the first place?" we both laughed slightly and walked out of the classroom together.

"You didn't have to do that" he said to me as we walked towards our lockers.

"Don't even mention it" we're not exactly best friends, but we're not strangers either. I've always thought he's so smart and cute and... Incredibly handsome.