Prologue

Hello all, and welcome! This is my second story, and I hope you enjoy. This is an original story based on a dream I had the other night, and decided to persue it. Feel free to ask any question and don't forget to comment and rate! I'm really interested in what you guys think about this odd story! THANKS!

Prologue:

I was only a week old when Eve and Ben Gladimire found me. I was simply abandoned on some winding road through the forest, left behind by who we're assuming was my parents.

'Who could leave a little angel like you behind?' they said to me. After quickly taking me home and cleaning me up, they started to realize that I was different. Not only did I develop faster than any normal child, but I also developed differently than normal children. My eyes were those of a cat’s with slits for pupils and ever-changing colored irises that could be hidden by two sets of eyelids. My skin was a smooth pale color that looked delicate, but instead acted as water repellant armor made up of tiny scales that you can barely distinguish. My ears weren't round like Eve's, but pointed at the tips. There was a short nub protruding at the end of my spine on my backside that they could not explain. When my teeth grew in when I was a month old, they noticed that though they looked normal, they were sharper and stronger than they could ever imagine. I was a freak. But they didn't care.

I always knew I wasn't their child, so their differences never bothered me. I was five years old when I started to pick up on just how different we truly were.

I was sitting on an old chair on Eve's lap in the living room next to the fireplace. Ben was in another chair with his reading glasses on, focused on one of his many books. Eve had a different kind book in her hands, which was about a little girl who falls down a hole and into a dream world. I always loved that story because the people in it were so different, just like me. It was an old book, Eve tells me, that was created before the Devastation of 2047. I watched her face move as she read the book. I let my tiny fingers trace her smooth face. Her skin was smooth, and I could feel her pores, and not scales like I have. Next I felt her graying golden hair, and it felt brittle and grainy, unlike my strong and feathery hair. Her ears and eyes were also round, and I already knew that she didn't have a nub on her backside that steadily grew into a long sleek tail. She noticed my staring, and cupped my face. I tried to blink away tears with my second set of eyelids that swept horizontally across my eye. I knew I was a freak. I wasn't normal.

"Roran, you are not a freak. You are a wonderful, smart, brave and beautiful young girl. I wouldn't want you to be any different," she whispered while whipping tears off my face. Then she places her hand over the left side of my chest and says, "We are still the same in here." I place my hand on the left side of her chest and feel a strong, stable heart beat. I already heard her heartbeat thanks to my sensitive senses, but the feel of it gave me hope. When she didn't feel my own heart beat, I move her hand over to the center of my chest, where my heart really is. We both laughed at this, even through the tears. "Even if they aren't in the same place," she giggles and pulls me into a warm embrace.

Thanks to Eve and Ben, I grew up with warmth, love, kindness, and a full stomach. They were a wealthy couple in their early forties. Their children moved on a long time ago, but that didn't stop them from loving me like their own. We lived in a large house in the mountains and away from the main city, and away from the cruel people who inhabited it. I grew up away from civilization to ensure my safety from their cruel ways. After the Devastation of 2047, the survivors became desperate to stay alive, which meant that they would do just about anything for their lives. I learned a lot about humans by devouring all of the books in Ben's study. He constantly brought them home when he could, and it kept me from making mischief in the house. But even reading could get boring, seeing as I could easily complete four books in a single day.