Chapter XXXI - Burden of Proof

The journey to Riverwood seemed particularly long.

Not only did they have to traverse the freezing Stonehills again, much to Aeyrin's dismay, but the constant pondering and anticipation about who would be waiting for them as this mysterious 'friend' was making the time pass slower.

They finally reached the Sleeping Giant Inn and left Karnwyr resting on the porch at its entrance.

When they got inside, Aeyrin headed towards the innkeeper immediately. She was not able to stand the not-knowing any longer.

"We want to rent the attic room," she said hurriedly without even as much as a 'hello'.

Orgnar looked at her in bewilderment for a bit. He noticed Bishop and nodded to him in greeting before he turned back to her: "Do you see an attic, lass?"

An awkward silence ensued and none of them knew how to proceed.

"There's no attic, but we have a very nice room available, follow me, please," a voice called out from the corner of the tavern suddenly, breaking the awkwardness.

Bishop frowned at the woman. He saw her before. There was a rumor that she actually owned the inn but Orgnar was taking care of it. She was never this polite or courteous.

He and Aeyrin shared an uncertain look, but they followed the woman into the large room regardless.

"Close the door," she said quietly when all of them stepped across the threshold.

Bishop closed the door behind them, but he hid his hunting knife in the sleeve of his armor as he turned his back to them. That woman was being too suspicious. She walked over to a large armoire and opened it – it was empty and she pushed against the back of it to reveal a hidden passage.

"This way," she commanded and the three of them made their way down the narrow stone stairwell into a small room filled with various travelling supplies, books and maps.

The woman stepped behind a table and gave them both an appraising look before her eyes settled on Bishop with a scowl: "Was it really necessary to drag the girl along?"

Bishop threw an amused look at Aeyrin who just sighed in exasperation. Of course no one would think the elf was the Dragonborn rather than the Nord. "Some 'friend' you are. You don't even know who you're calling here," he smirked at the woman, earning only a questioning look of surprise.

"You wanted to see me?" Aeyrin sighed. Hopefully that insinuated her identity clearly.

The woman's brows shot up in surprise, but a second later she narrowed her eyes dangerously.

"An elf? A Bosmer? This is a fucking joke right?!" she suddenly reached the hem of her dress and swiftly pulled out a dagger and pointed it at Aeyrin. "They sent you, right? You're not going to get me!" the woman was ranting, flustered and, luckily, distracted.

Aeyrin quickly grabbed at her wrist and squeezed her armored hand around it strongly. It made the woman gasp and release her hold on her weapon instantly.

"What are you doing? You asked to see me! You're the one who sent me here!" Aeyrin exclaimed without letting go of her wrist.

"I know you're a spy! It's too much of a coincidence!" the woman spat angrily, piercing Aeyrin with a hateful glare.

"A 'spy'? For who?" Aeyrin shook her head in confusion while Bishop moved towards the woman and pointed his knife at her throat so that Aeyrin could let go of her hand safely.

"Your precious Dominion!" the woman spat angrily again, earning a laugh from Bishop. She glared at him with narrowed eyes, as if she was trying to discern whether the laugh was amused or actually malicious.