Chapter LV - Immortals

Bishop looked around carefully – there was no one in sight.

They stayed at Highmoon Hall for a while yet and talked more with Jarl Idgrod. She was very curious about Aeyrin's abilities and the process of consuming souls. To be safe, Aeyrin didn't tell her anything more about the black dragon, the Blades, or their pending investigation, but she shared only the things that were general knowledge anyway. As paranoid as Delphine was, Aeyrin was not willing to divulge any information about her, especially to people who had ties to the Empire and the Thalmor. It was better to be safe than sorry, no matter what she personally believed.

They left before sundown in order to spend some time plotting and planning their next course of action.

Aeyrin didn't want to split up, but Bishop managed to convince her. She was not exactly a burglar material. Whatever she did in her youth, she'd promptly forgotten in her adulthood. It was more likely that she merely used to rely on people not being at home if she robbed a house rather than being quiet.

She was anything but sneaky and subtle.

So in the end, she went to investigate the burned-down house alone while Bishop carried on to Alva's place, intent on sneaking in while Hroggar slept and Alva was at the inn.

He knelt by the door, covered in darkness.

He pulled out his lockpicks and started fiddling with the locks as quietly as possible. Hopefully the man would be asleep already. According to Idgrod, he worked at the mill – that meant he was getting up early.

It was a bit odd how Idgrod insinuated that they should 'investigate' Alva's house. Couldn't she just have her guards do it? Then again, if people saw an inspection coming, they usually managed to hide their suspicious shit. Maybe the Jarl was more savvy than one would think.

"What are you doing?" a voice made him freeze in place.

What the fuck?

He was careful!

He looked towards the source – there was a young boy, no older than ten, standing at the corner of the building and watching him with his mouth ajar.

Why didn't he see him? He must have been hiding somewhere in the bushes nearby...

Why?

Maybe he was trying to peep on Alva. It wouldn't be surprising.

"I'm... checking if it's... not broken," he pondered a bit before answering the boy as straightening himself up from the door. That was probably the least convincing lie he's ever told. But it was just a kid... they were gullible...

"No you weren't! I'm not stupid! You were breaking in!" the young boy looked at him with narrowed eyes and approached slowly.

Not that gullible apparently...

He was pretty brave. If Bishop was really a burglar with intent to rob, he might have just killed him to avoid witnesses. Wait, was he brave or incredibly stupid?

"Why are you here?" Bishop asked after a while. It was better to go on the offensive instead. The boy was likely doing something he shouldn't have himself.

"I wasn't doing anything! I'm just... waiting for my mom," he pouted and shuffled his feet, somewhat embarrassed.

"Uh-huh..." Bishop smirked at him disbelievingly and waited for the boy to explain himself further.

"I was! I just..." suddenly the boy teared up, looking into the ground stubbornly and avoiding any eye contact.

Oh, fuck! What was that about?!