7| Gangsters on my back.

When I was a teenager I was quite the rebel

When I was a teenager I was quite the rebel. I didn't want to listen to anyone, I just wanted to be "free". But at one point I realised that freedom was a form of imprisonment. You can't grow yourself and you can't find who you truly are when your "free".

So when I finished high school, I immediately joined the police academy. People didn't believe that I'd ever finish the academy and become part of the law because I hated it so much at a certain age.

Nobody truly believed in my dreams but I achieved them. A little sooner than I thought I would.

I never thought that at the age of thirty I'd be staring down at a dead woman who was brutally murdered. Looking for some kind of clue that could lead us to her killer.

"Twenty-six-year-old, Tiffany Johnson. She was 39 weeks pregnant, but the baby isn't anywhere near her. We searched around but there was no newborn baby dumped anywhere near the area," the police officer briefed us.

I love my job so much but when emergency calls like these came and you were dressed the way I was, I hated it. The male officers and sometimes female, that was around always looked at my body like I'd let them 'tap that'.

"Okay, so this guy comes in, hits her in the head with something hard," I gesture to the large gash on the victim's head, "he then cuts her open, takes the baby out. Cleans the baby up and marks a letter on her stomach?" I run through the possibility of what could've happened.

"He also takes the baby with him. Why does he take the baby is the question. What does he want with the baby?" Bryce adds. "I'm asking myself the same thing," I whisper under my breath.

Being a detective is never easy. Seeing murdered people is never easy. But some cases are just so much worse than others. Like who does this? Who steals a baby from a pregnant woman and draws a letter on her after he's killed her?

"I need some air," I leave the apartment and walk out into the hallway. "Are you okay?" Bruce walks out of the apartment.

"This job is a little too hard," I admit. "Who does that to another person? To a harmless woman?" I felt a little sick thinking about. Maybe it's just the hangover speaking but I felt nauseous from looking at. Any normal person would feel sick from seeing that.

"I know what you mean," he said. "We should probably ask the neighbours if they saw or heard anything. We should also get a background check on her, who and what she was involved in," I got back to work.

"Yeah, I'll ask the neighbours and you could check what she was into and the people in connection to her," I nodded and headed down out of the building.