13.

Biana:
The room erupted into chaos as soon as my mother revealed her theory. It was an awful thing to think about, but even more terrifying...it was believable.
"Why would he do that?" Sophie asked.
"Yeah, I mean, so much pain has been caused to elves through the Neverseen." Dex added.
"At some point, I believe that does not matter." My mother whispered. "We have all seen the things people are willing to do to achieve what they want. Vackers have a huge history of greatness. Generation after generation, they have achieved incredible things. And all of this ties into the Legacy—each Vacker is destined to be better than the one before. The Vacker family is supposed to be royal enough to represent all elves, and to rule all species."
    "That's the Legacy?" Fitz asked, looking clearly unimpressed. "I mean, I knew our ancestors were self-obsessed jerks most of the time, but...is that really why Alvar...and Dad betrayed us?"
As I agreed with Fitz, a sickening thought hit me. "But Alvar said that one day I'd understand why he left." I whispered, looking at my mom. "What did he mean? Why me?"
"I do not know much more, but I can only assume that Alvar meant that as a compliment. He probably thought you'd become something big, and maybe Alden had plans for you. I'm not sure if we'll ever know."
"He did try and recruit me back in the Forbidden Cities."
"Yes, and the fact that you are here now shows your bravery and strength. As Vackers, you two have a chance to change everything." My mom said, turning her head to face me and Fitz. "You can use your voices to convince others that elves are not superior to other species. The Neverseen is nearly gone—I think it is time for our 'Legacy' to be as well. I have a feeling Luzia has been trying to do this for a while secretly, and many others are much more open to befriending other species."
    "Luzia...that makes so much sense!" Biana exclaimed. "No wonder she's all mysterious sometimes, and she even had a secret alliance with the trolls!" A worried expression overcame her features. "Wait a moment— does this mean that she knows that Fallon is in the Neverseen?"
    "I'm afraid not," Interrupted a painful familiar and sharp voice. I looked up and felt my heart drop to my stomach when I saw Lady Gisela and my father standing by the door, noticeably free from their bonds. "But don't worry," Gisela continued, smirking. "She'll find out soon enough."
    Fitz jumped up as Lady Gisela removed one of her rings, but he was too late. A second later, both of them had been swept away through a beam of light.