Chapter 20

Joel's POV

"I called you all here because the Annual Lagos State interschool decathlon competition is approaching and we need to start getting ready to drill you guys." The Science HOD, Mr Patrick stated and I felt my lips stretch into a smile.

Well, it's about damn time.

Since the day I came into this school, I've been craving for this kind of competition and now it's finally here. The Principal had called some SS2 students' name, including mine, Zaria, Lyla, Charles and Ada's names on the assembly this morning and she asked us to wait behind while everyone went to class. Now, the Science Teachers Head of Department was addressing us.

"What has got you so excited?" Zaria whispered beside me and I looked at her.

"I love interschool competitions. I used to represent my school back in Abuja." I replied, the grin still on my face. She rolled her eyes and smirked at me in response.

"And let me guess, you used to take the trophy." She stated, sarcasm dripping in her tone. I realized what she just did and smirked back at her.

"Ha ha. Very funny. Stop being a hater." I shoved her playfully with my elbow. She rolled her eyes at me again, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Well, the Lagos state competition is said to be the toughest among all competitions in the country. So I guarantee this might not be as easy as you think, but I trust you can handle it." She threw me a smile and I winked at her.

"I appreciate your faith in me." I joked and she chuckled.

"Mr Bamidele, Miss Coker..." Mr Patrick called to us and we looked at him, startled. Everyone had their eyes on us. "Would you like to come up and tell us what the both of you are talking about?" He asked. Charles was smirking at me and I fought so hard not to laugh.

"No sir." I replied for both of us.

"Good. Then stop talking till I'm done." He said.

"We are sorry sir." Zaria chipped in.

"Good. As I was saying..." He took his attention from us and back to other students.

Zaria and I exchanged a glance and bursted into a fit of soft giggles. I felt someone watching me and looked to my side, only Ada's eyes on me. She had no expression on it, her face was just blank. She held my gaze for a moment before looking back at the teacher. I looked ahead and let out a breath.

Mehn, things might get a bit complicated.

****

"Which of the following is a substance formed by the chemical joining of two or more elements in definite amounts? A. enzyme. B. nucleus. C. isotope. D. compound?" Mr Tayo, another chemistry teacher asked.

We have started the drilling and coaching. Right now, all hands were scribbling something in their books, trying to get the answer. Lyla was the time keeper for this round. Zaria quickly raised her head up from her note.

"Atoms. Atoms are the basic unit of matter. Knowing the properties of atoms and the various elements allows scientists to observe and predict how they interact with each other." She answered speedily and I looked at her in awe.

"Very correct. How many seconds was that, Lyla?" He asked her.

"Twelve seconds. We are still behind sir. Our aim is eight seconds." She replied, dropping her watch and jotting down in her note pad.

"That's what have been saying since morning. The answers need to come fast and sharply, especially with questions like this. Don't give room for slacking." Mr Tayo said. I looked at Zaria and saw her jotting down on her note pad.