16. The Lake

My date with Wes was the following evening. I had woken up with a splitting headache, much in thanks to the recurrence of last night's events replaying in my mind. My dreams had even decided they were going to force me to relive them. I hadn't escaped the image of James disrespecting my family in the last twelve hours.

When I had glanced in the bathroom mirror and noticed the purple bags under my eyes, I sighed loudly. While I didn't actually care for Wes, I needed to be on my game tonight if I had any hope of uncovering what he was hiding. And I needed to get something out of him tonight. Our date wasn't until six, and I hoped the next eleven hours would be enough for my system to purge whatever nonsense had happened with James.

However, when I stepped back in front of the mirror all those hours later, I learned I had been gravely mistaken. The bags were heavier, and my skin looked ghostlike. I felt like a zombie.

Grabbing some makeup stored in a drawer I never opened, I applied a fair amount and tried my best to disguise the sheer exhaustion riding on my face. Even with an unpracticed hand, I found I had done a decent job. My skin looked normal and my eyes no longer had shadows. Wes, I knew, would be fooled.

He had arrived right on time, a trait I had to admit I admired, and we headed down the highway once again. This time, Wes had taken me to a very fancy restaurant, one I was certain I was about three levels dressed down for. The tables were covered in white cloth, the staff was dressed exclusively in black, and candles radiated a sophisticated and romantic light around the extravagant restaurant. My meal had costed more than anything I had ever ordered anywhere combined, and, when Wes insisted we get desert, I was too shocked to protest.

Despite the unnatural setting, Wes and I had fallen into an easy conversation. I tried to keep the questions on him and use flattery as much as possible, but he seemed to be using the same technique on me. I had answered multiple questions about my past, family, likes, and dislikes, all while being complimented on many things which had never warranted praise before.

After leaving, Wes stated he knew of this beautiful lake on the outskirts of the city and asked if I'd like to walk it with him. Considering this was my third date with Wes, and I still hadn't managed to get a single slice of information about the paper inside his locker, I agreed. Wes's face lit up, and we drove down the highway once more.

Night had long since fallen; I noticed the further we drove, the more stars appeared. I was enraptured by them. I had grown up most of my life without seeing them twinkle above me. And now, as I watched the sky woven with bright lights, I let my eyes travel around each one as if taking an inventory.

It was when Wes's car jolted and the sound of gravel erupted below us, I snapped out of my stupor. We were way beyond city limits and now someplace in the country. A shiver crawled up my spine, but I tried my best to ignore it. I could handle Wes. I was going to be fine. I needed to focus on the questions I had prepared. But even though I silently repeated them in my head, the shiver only escalated.

Wes's car bounced and rattled down the gravel path, and we soon did come upon a lake. A large exhale flew from my lips. He had been telling the truth, at least. Wes pulled to a stop in a tattered parking lot beside it, and his car idled. He then shifted in his seat, and a hungry smile spread across his face.

"You like it?" he asked, and I wasn't sure what he was talking about.

"The lake?" I questioned. "Oh, yeah, it's nice."

Wes lifted a hand and placed in on my leg. I fought the urge to push it away.

"I really like you, you know? You're so different than anyone else I've dated."