18. The Divide

The next few days passed in a blur. My body went through the motions, but my mind trailed behind after it. I ate, went to class, conversed with Liv and my family, and slept. It was an easy, uncomplicated few days, which was just what I needed. Anything more than that would have provided allowances for my mind to wander to places it didn't need to go. I didn't want to think about the stadium story or the disappearing children. They all led me back to James, and he was forbidden territory.

My parents seemed to realize I wasn't quite myself, which shouldn't have been too difficult a task to begin with. I had dropped the sarcasm, answered all questions in a normal, even voice, and sat quietly on the couch doing homework. Truth be told, it probably looked like an entirely different person had taken my place – the well behaved, put together daughter my mother had always dreamed of was finally living under her roof.

Even Ling and Liu noticed my change. When we were together, they eyed me curiously and exchanged whispers. Just last night, Liu had even asked me if I was alright. Thought I had nodded and assured her I was just fine, her expression demonstrated she thought the exact opposite. 

The only hiccup to existing in a daze had occurred a few days ago. I had been walking down the hallway, eyes unfocused, and suddenly found I was approaching Wes. Images of the night we shared flashed before my eyes, and my anger started boil. I inhaled in an attempt to cool it. Wes watched me attentively, his features hard and agitated. He didn't seem vindictive though, only annoyed. When he passed by -- no comment, no slurs -- I assumed he wanted to forget about what happened that night. I was relieved, and though I was still angered by his actions, I desperately wanted to forget everything too. Everything.

In was the first time in my journalism career that I wanted to be finished with an unsolved story.

Liv had taken special notice of my behavior. While I had explained some of the reasons responsible for putting me in this state, I hadn't told her everything. Mainly, she knew about my falling out with James. When I told her the condensed story, her green eyes wilted. I wasn't sure why it had caused her such dismay, but she seemed particularly upset by the fractured working relationship James and I had established. I then explained the reason why we had gotten into an argument, and her expression became alive once again.

"He said what?" she had asked.

I simply nodded.

"That ass," she hissed. "I swear, I thought he was done acting like a prick."

I forced a laugh. "James O'Brian? That'll be the day."

Since then, Liv had made a point of attaching herself to my side. Though we didn't talk about it, she knew how much James's words had upset me. Liv understood my feelings on the injustice in Riverport; the disparity made me sick. All my sarcasm was rooted in these feelings.

That weekend, Liv had asked me stay over at her house again. At first thought, I hadn't wanted to; being so close to James turned my stomach inside out, and I was doing my best to avoid any feelings at the moment. But Liv had insisted, stating it would do me some good to enjoy a night without any reminders of what had been going on.

I laughed darkly to myself. The reminder what right next door to her.

In the end, I agreed. A night at Liv's house had never let me down before, and I knew her parents would have some idea I was in a foul mood, which would give them reason to prepare an even more exquisite dinner than normal. I was going to be consuming a five-star meal tonight.

Even when Liv pulled into her driveway, her beautiful white house glistening in the setting sun, I still found I had trouble dismissing the memory – apart from James – plaguing my mind. Harriet and the woman. It was as though it rested just below my skin's surface, continually gnawing away as a reminder. Even in the recent days of wanting to be done with the story, I was still curious about what they woman had been up to.