23. The Broadcast

Over a week of diligent work on the story had come and gone. In fact, the week felt like it zipped by in an instant. James and I had spent every waking moment working on the story and doing all we could to complete it. Our brains were fused together; we lived and breathed the story. I guess that was what happened when two clinically obsessive people brainstormed and worked – it was a literal brain storm.

All the hard work and mass amounts of time had paid off; James and I had completed the story in its final form. As planned, I had written it using the information we gathered from the interviews, while James had edited the recorded interviews. He then recorded me while I read the story, and we had mashed the film of both that and the interviews into a single reel. It wasn't long, but the few minutes were filled to the brim with purpose. People, at least those on at this school, would now be made aware of the disappearances happening under their own noses.

The trickiest part had been convincing Mrs. Dearing and Mr. Jacobs that they needn't watch our story until it broadcasted. For a time, James and I thought we might actually have to create the stadium story in order to get them off our backs. But in the end, I had explained to Dearing how much I had grown to develop a professional and trusting relationship with James – all lies, of course – and would like the chance to see the story through to the end having just relied on the two of us.

The white lie -- okay, lie -- had worked like a charm. While Dearing was no nonsense to her core, she had a soft spot for James – Lord knew why – and her steely eyes had turned soft. Through a joyful sigh, she had said, "I always knew you two would work out your differences. You're both so alike."

It took all my willpower to ignore the way her words dove straight for my gag reflexes.

James, I later learned, had explained a similar story to Jacobs. He never went over the full conversation but had stated the problem was taken care of. He had been given permission to broadcast our story without Jacob's input. Although, I started to wonder what James had told him, as Jacobs had recently taken to offering me jovial smiles when I passed him in the halls.

I didn't have time to delve further into this, as realization of the whole situation hit me hard, and my stomach dropped about ten stories. Once the story aired, James and I were going to lose the trust of both our favorite teachers. Dearing would surely slice and dice me for exploiting her confidence. James's words then replayed inside my head. I needed to be okay with a few moments of discomfort if I wanted anything to change.

Today was the day. Our story was to be broadcasted at ten in the morning inside all classrooms that had a mounted television and, those who didn't, would hear the six-minute segment via the PA system.

Electricity was coursing through my veins. I was charged, alive, and even though I knew an uproar would occur afterwards, I had never been more ready for the story to air.

I was seated in my mid-morning class, US History, and watched the hands slowly tick by on the overhead clock. Each second my temperature raised, but the energy didn't swirl chaotically in me. I felt like I had power over it.

Two minutes to go, and I wondered where James was. Did he feel the same current flooding through his skin? He must, I reasoned. He had worked just as tirelessly as I had on the story; it was as much a part of him as it was a part of me.

A flash erupted overhead on the television causing my thoughts to disperse. The broadcast was about to begin. I was weighted to my seat.

"Good morning, students of Columbia Pacific High School!" the voice of Principal Campbell erupted over the PA system, as was the case with every broadcast. "We have a special program for you this morning – one I have been very eager to see. Two of your fellow students have worked very hard to put together a story about our stadium! So, settle in and enjoy the broadcast. I hope you all learn a little about the history of our high school's favorite feature!"