prologue ━━ pay me respect

PROLOGUE: pay me respect

━━━━━━━━

001 . . . i won't, won't lie, last night i
𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞. now i, i'm fine.
let you push me to the edge, 'bout to
𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝.

     THE SCREAMS AND laughter echoed through the place that hardly felt like home. The little girl curled into herself, the tears still flowing down her cheeks, her body frozen and even if she could move, nothing could block out the horrific sounds, nothing could stop her from listening to innocent people being tortured in ways that would make the ruler of Hell curl his lips up in disgust. She was stuck there in the corner of the room she was given, the place devoid of windows or furniture other than a simple bed and a dresser that was falling apart. The only light within the room was a broken lamp on the concrete floor, the light flickering every so often.

     Another loud cry echoed through the warehouse and she barely swallowed a sob. With little surprise, a laugh followed the pained yell and it rang in her ears for longer than she would have liked. The tears fell faster. She begged for it to stop. It never stopped. It only got louder. And then she heard the cries die out and she knew what it meant. That's when the sob escaped and she began to cry, pleading for it all to stop. She may not have known her birth family but she wanted them back, she wanted this all to be a dream. She wanted to wake up.

      The door swung open.

     "No, no, please, please," the little girl cried when she saw the flash of green, curling further into herself now, able to move just a little. She turned her head, shutting her eyes tightly, holding back a scream of her own. "Please leave me alone."

     "That's no way to talk to your daddy," the green-haired man grinned. She didn't need to see it to know he was. He always smiled, the scars that curved up the corner of his lips ensured that he would never stop smiling. "Come on, let's play a fun game together, pumpkin."

     And then before she could get up and run away, his arms were wrapping around her small frame, the blood soaking the back of her shirt. She screamed and he just laughed and laughed and laughed, causing her to drown further and further into the world of madness he had thrown her into.

002 . . . understand it's out of your hands.
sleep tight where you've
𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐝.

     SHE GREW UP to be similar to the green-haired man's pigtail girlfriend. The little girl was overly dramatic and awfully impatient, which constantly got her into situations that caused her to become that same person that hid in the corner of their room every night, when the screams started. But because she grew up oppressed and tortured mentally, she could never stand up for herself, always taking the words that were thrown her way by her dad and his goons. To avoid it, she stayed by herself, imagining all the ways she could kill them or get away from the insanity that was the Joker.

     One night, she found herself standing at the edge of his bed, staring down at him as he slept. It was odd. The ten-year-old girl titled her head to the side, the knife in her hand catching the moonlight that was coming through the window. He looked peaceful, calm, but that ever lasting smile was a reminder that he was none of those things. Hell, he was hardly even a man. He was chaos reincarnated into a human being. He was worse than any monster or demon in existence.

     If that was true, why wouldn't her arm move? Why couldn't she end his reign of terror once and for all?

     Maybe she couldn't then, but she would one day, she swore it. One day, at some point in her life, she would kill him. She would tear him down, she would destroy him, she would cleanse the world of the Joker.

003 . . . last kiss, leave your lips
𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐝.
burning bridges, breaking dishes,
look you made me something 𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬.

     THE LAST TIME she saw her mother and the man who was worse than the devil was at Amusement Mile. She stood in the shadows, allowing it to hold her close and caress her skin, assuring her that everything would be alright. She was not strong enough anyway. She did not hold the bravery to run out there and plead the Dark Knight to not take her mother away. Even if she did, she knew he would not listen to her. He listened to no one. He did not play favorites either. So she stayed there, the tears burning her skin as she watched the cops arrive and push her mother into the back of a van that would take her to Arkham. Nearby, Joker was being pushed into another one, laughing away as he was dragged across the ground bloody and bruised. When he caught her eye, his smile grew.

     "See you soon, pumpkin! Daddy will be back very soon!"

     "Don't listen to him," a deep, gravelly voice told her. The caped crusader stood next to her, staring down at her. "Do you have anywhere to go?"

     She shook her head and he hummed, looking away. The girl wiped the blood off of her own cheek from when Joker had accidentally cut her with a knife. The blood came back up to the surface but she hardly felt it, her eyes boring into the back of the vehicle as it drove away from the two of them, sirens blaring.

     Batman may be observant, but even he did not notice the promise that etched itself into her blank expression. Joker thought he was raising her to be just like him. He thought he would have someone to carry on his legacy of death and madness when he was gone. When in reality. . .

     He created the person who would be his downfall.

━━━━━━━━

odette and dick are a power couple okay? okay. it's gonna be slow for them at first, seeing as she's sort of the joker's daughter but eventually they will build a trust and after that, shit's gonna get real cute and real hot. you guys aren't ready but tbh, neither am i so we'll go through this together (:

yet again, i will add the banner when i actually make it