Rachel Roth - Walls

I'm gonna break down these walls I built around myself
I wanna fall so in love with you and no one else
Could ever mean half as much to me as you do now
Together we'll move on, just don't turn around
Let the walls break down

♤♡◇♧

"Just LEAVE me the FUCK ALONE!" I slammed the front door shut hard enough to rattle the whole house and stormed off into the street, tugging on the straps of my backpack and setting a brisk pace to the bus stop.

I was too far away for my "father" to follow me, but not far enough to block out his shouts and threats that followed me to the end of the street.

This was pretty much how it went every day before school, and also when I returned home late in the evening after having spent it at my my friend Rachel's house. Rachel's mother, Melissa, was always very warm and welcoming, grateful that her daughter had a close friend that wanted to stick by her no matter how "weird" others claimed her to be.

I never cared to label people I didn't know, unlike everyone else.

Crossing the road with earphones jammed into my ears, I made my way past Rachel's house. As if on cue, the blue-haired girl strode out of her house and met me on the sidewalk.

Rachel kept her blue head down and jerked the hood of her jacket low over her head, keeping pace with me like clockwork. It was obvious that we'd both had a rough start and didn't want to talk about it, so we walked together in silence.

"Hey, kid," Rachel's asshole neighbour called out to her as they passed his house: he was a cranky old man who rarely ever left his property. He had probably moved out to the suburbs after he retired, hoping for peace and quiet but getting the exact opposite, if Rachel lived next door.

"You tell your mother if that screaming keeps up all hours of the night, I'm calling the police again. You hear me?" He wagged a crooked finger, and I suddenly felt the need to rip his throat out.

"I don't care about your emotional issues." He finished, then muttered "Weirdos" under his breath as we ignored him.

The thing is, with me, once you get past my rough exterior and I genuinely care about you, I'm very loving and loyal to a fault: it's gotten me in trouble a few too many times. However if you got on my bad side, - which, I'll admit, wasn't hard - I took pride in the fact that I could make Hell look like a paradise, in more ways than one.

My teachers always told me that my mind was sharp and my tongue sharper before they sent me to the Principle's office, so the old man was let off lightly when this reply was all he recieved:

"Better get used to the screaming, Mr Jenkins, you'll be hearing it on repeat where you're going in a few years."

Rachel barely supressed her adorable giggles as he started ranting about how much he hated kids, and the two of us shared a secret smile as we continued on to the bus stop.

"You didn't have to do that for me." Rachel said just as the bus pulled up and we got on last. Her voice barely above a whisper as we took our seats. "It was kind of mean."

"Who gives a fuck? He has no right to assume he knows anything about what you're going through, much less to hold it against you." Rachel only looked out of the window, looking brighter than she did when she left her house, but still painfully depressed.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself, since I knew that Rachel didn't like it when I got heated. As an apology, I offered to share my earphones, then opened my phone and placed it in my friend's lap, allowing her to pick whatever song she wanted.