4 | Mother of Faces

Since the incident at Yu Dao, Earth King Kuei suggested that some of the citizens of Yu Dao and the gang sit in for a lecture on Ancient Earth Kingdom Theories of Government

Since the incident at Yu Dao, Earth King Kuei suggested that some of the citizens of Yu Dao and the gang sit in for a lecture on Ancient Earth Kingdom Theories of Government. So there everyone was, either paying attention or trying to stay awake.

During the professor's lecture, Sokka whispered over to Aang about how absolutely bored he was. Aang, of course, whispered back. They got a scolding from Katara, who was actually trying to listen.

Ama was never great at history. Things usually went in one ear and out the other, but she tried. Not like anyone could tell that she was only getting bits and pieces of the lecture since she sat up straight and kept an eye on the professor.

Zuko paid attention because he had to. Being Fire Lord meant having to make the right decisions for everyone, and history was a helpful thing. Something must have grabbed his attention, because Zuko raised his hand and spoke up. "Professor, can you repeat that last part?"

The professor mumbled something to himself before responding. "I was explaining, Fire Lord Zuko, an ancient Earth Kingdom philosophy: family is in essence a small nation, and the nation a large family. Do you understand?" A gloomy look appeared on Zuko's face. "In treating his own family with dignity, a ruler learns to govern his nation with dignity."

Ama noticed Zuko's expression, prompting her to reach over and grab his hand. "Are you alright, dragonfly?"

"Have you been listening?" He asked her.

"Kind... of..." She answered with a regrettable side smile.

"I put my father in a prison and my sister in an institution. My mother has been banished for years." He told her. "What does that mean for my nation?"

"Zuko, that's not what-" Aang butt in. He didn't want Zuko to looked down on himself for something like condemning his family for their wrong doings.

"The guy's a blowhard! Only people like Katara are taking him seriously." Sokka whispered over. His younger sister shot the second snowball of the day in his face.

☽☼☾

After the lecture and other Earth Kingdom things, Zuko and Ama returned to the Fire Nation. And the first thing he requested was to speak with his sister and father.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Ama asked him for the hundredth time.

"She's my best chance at finding my mom." Zuko told her, turning to look at her before actually going out the front door. "I know you're worried, but I have to do this."

"I can go with, you know." Ama told him and got into a fighting stance playfully. "Any funny business and I knock some sense in her." She punched the empty air, poorly, of course. After all, Ama's a water bender, hand-to-hand combat isn't exactly her forte.