17 | Let's Refrain from Throwing Anything at Anyone, Please

~ Ama~

          The only source of light were the two candles in my room, on my bed stand. And let me tell you, the dusky setting did not help the overly cautious and alert war veterans that were Zuko and I. I sat up in the bed, slowly slipping my legs over the side to prepare for an attack while Zuko was at the door. I had no clue who was on the other side. At this hour especially, it was a bit frightening.

          Was it Suh? Was she here to finish me off? My mind jumped to a terrifying conclusion. My heartbeat picked up and my jaw clenched. I held a tight breath as Zuko carefully twisted the doorknob and opened the door enough to just see who it was.

          "What are you doing here?" The all too familiar voice of my brother asked Zuko. I let out my breath and almost wanted to laugh loudly at myself for getting so worked up. "Ama!" Sokka noticed me awake and sitting up. He excitedly sprinted over at full speed with the biggest grin. I barely had time to react and could only hold my arms out defensively when he practically jumped on me, pulling me into a tight hug.

          Aching pain shot through my body at both the sudden movement and his strong arms crushing. "Ow. Sokka. That hurts." I grumbled through my teeth. In the back of my mind, I scolded myself. Didn't seem to mind the pain a few moments ago.

          My brother immediately pulled away, and yet again, his jolting movements to push himself off me only hurt me more and I groaned lightly. "Sorry." He apologized with an apprehensive side smile. He kept his hands on my shoulders, his eyes studying me like I was some sort of extraordinary creature. "You're an idiot, you know that?" Even though he used his humorous expression, I still saw a tear forming in his eye.

          "Me? An idiot?" I faked a bewildered tone and dramatically placed a fanned hand over my chest. "I believe a proper description would be an unimaginably attractive and remarkable nincompoop."

          Sokka scoffed and shook his head at me. "She's making jokes. Of course, she is." He mumbled to himself, etched with disbelief, amusement, and a tinge of disappointment. "You had us all worried. Katara and Aang even postponed their honeymoon."

          "What?" My shoulder slumped and I frowned. "They were so excited for Ember Island. They didn't have to do that."

          "Oh, okay. So the next time someone almost permanently departs from the living, everyone else should just go out and enjoy themselves." My brother crossed his arms over his chest and gave me a chiding look.

          My brother was naturally a grumpy, glass-half-empty kinda guy. I was used to his little taunts and nonsense scoldings, but there was always some humor laced in everything he'd say. But right now, there was none of that. He showed nothing but deep concern. It was starting to anchor me to the gravity of my situation. How I quite literally almost died.

          My face softened but the rest of my body tensed up. I inhaled deeply, internally hoping that the subject changed quickly.

          Luckily, Zuko was still in the room. With his arms crossed and a perplexed frown, he approached the bed but stood beside us while my brother and I were still seated on the side. "Sokka, what are you doing up?" He redirected the conversation. I wasn't sure if it was because he saw my dejected look or because he was just curious as to why Sokka was here.

          "Couldn't sleep." Sokka shrugged. "Spent most of the night tossing and turning. Then I heard some talking in here, thought my big sister had finally woken up." He ruffled my hair. I just rolled my eyes at him and raked my fingers through my smooth hair. Katara must have made sure I was cleaned and well taken care of. "What about you, mister Fire Lord? What are you doing up? Specifically in my sister's room."