Chapter 3: Dust and Ashes; Scars and Burns

Tsuya released a sigh of content, her stomach warm and satisfying full from delicious katsudon. Beside her, Katsuki burped, just as content with his dinner.

"Thanks for dinner again, Auntie Inko." She chirped.

Inko chuckled. "No problem, sweetie. You're welcome anytime." she said.

"I'll get the dishes." Katsuki said, picking up the plates.

"I'll help." Tsuya said, getting up to gather the cutleries.

"Me too!" Izuku said, bouncing out of his chair to bring his own plate to the sink.

Grabbing a stool for Izuku, they gave him a damp rag to wipe the table while Katsuki and Tsuya handled the dishes; the former washing them while the latter wiped them dry.

Inko smiled at the sweet children helping one another, preparing a tray of mochi for them. Tomorrow was a weekend, maybe she could invite them to stay for a movie and perhaps even a sleepover? She knows Izuku would love that idea and they wouldn't mind it themselves. She did have extra futons and blankets stored-

They all jumped in surprise when the lights abruptly went out, enveloping them in darkness. The water that was gushing out of the sink came to a halt as well.

"That's odd. I already paid the bills." Inko said.

There was a harsh knock on the door, startling all of them. Almost in sync, they all turned their heads towards the door.

"Are you expecting some-"

A dark purple fog-like swirling mass formed on the ceiling. They saw the blurr of an object being dropped and dully heard an electronic BEEP-

Everything moved too fast after that.

Tsuya didn't understand, she couldn't firmly grasp any of it.

One moment she was just standing there, holding a dish rag and a plate then suddenly, she felt her entire body harshly getting thrown back, a force- hot and powerful and destructive like the explosions Katsuki could produce- slammed into her like a truck.

It was like she blinked. She closed her eyes and for that tiny window of a moment and there was nothing but black, her surroundings were gone bringing a small part of her awareness with it and when she opened her eyes she was back in her surroundings.

And right now? She was surrounded by chaos.

She opened her eyes and took a shuddering breath, instantly regretting it as she inhaled the acrid smell of smoke. Her lungs protested, earning harsh coughs and god, her ears were ringing and her head was pounding like a frickin rock drum.

Tsuya forced herself up and turning around, relief flooded her when she saw Katsuki groaning, roughed up but still alive and breathing.

"Tsuki, hey." She said, shaking him. "Come on, get up you @$$hole." She choked. Whipping her head around, panic surged through her as she suddenly became aware of the heat emitting from crackling flames steadily consuming the place and-

Oh $hit they were in the kitchen.

And kitchens needed gas.

Fu$k.

"TSUKI MOVE!" she yelled, rising to her feet and yanking Katsuki up with her with a strength she never knew she had. She all but dragged Katsuki with her before she practically threw both of them out of the kitchen.