Chapter 5

After a night of tossing and turning, I woke up feeling cranky and annoyed. My dreams were filled with images of Vignesh's family finding about our deceit and throwing me out of the house. Then Vedanta Uncle decided to kill me by running me over with his car while Vignesh clapped and cheered.

I hate my life!

Luckily, today was a Saturday and I didn't have any urgent matters to attend to. So, I could laze around all day feeling sorry for myself. I needed a major pity party to mourn the state of my life.

I fell back on my pillow and wondered if I should answer my grumbling stomach or let it eat some of the extra fat in my body. After all, the fat was there for that very reason.

Ding dong.

The doorbell rang. Why would someone come knocking in the early hours of the day? It was only 10 am, after all.

Maybe if I ignored them they would go away.

Ding dong. Ding dong. Ding dong.

God, this person was persistent!

There was a moment of quiet and I believed I won.

The next minute, my phone started blaring and I cursed. I lifted it up and saw it was my cousin.

"Why?" I groaned, as I answered the phone.

"Are you still in bed?" she inquired sounding frustrated.

"Uh huh," I replied.

Gayathri let out whoosh of air and started screaming at me. I pulled the phone away from my ear and stumbled out of bed to the front door. I swung the door open and her eyes widened as she let out a horrified gasp of shock.

"I can not do this! I am not a miracle worker. I cannot salvage this!" she exclaimed dramatically pointing at my face. I rolled my eyes. This was way too much drama so early in the morning.

"Why are you here?" I asked around a yawn and she wrinkled her nose at me. Gayathri was one those girls, people might call a 'princess'. She was prim and proper and always put together even if someone were to wake her up in the middle of the night. I've done that once and was insanely jealous and impressed. Meanwhile, I'm sure that looked like a drowned cat with my hair sticking up in all directions. An electrified drowned cat. But that would kill a cat. Hmm... Too much thinking was bad in the mornings.

"Why am I here? You fucking irresponsible, erumai maadu! I'm here here for you! Ungrateful panni!" she screeched.

I collapsed on a sofa. This conversation was taking a lot out of me.

"Get up, somberi! You need to be dressed and dolled up in an hour!" she scolded me.

"Why?" I asked. She wasn't answering my question.

"Are you telling me that you didn't know that Vignesh's family is coming over to your parent's house to see you?" she demanded sounding incredulous.

That news jolted my brain awake.
"What? No one told me this! Why? Oh," I trailed off as a lead ball dropped in my stomach.

So it finally begins.
The inevitable, spectacular, wedding drama.

"How did no one tell you? Didn't either of your parents talk to you about this?" Gayathri screeched behind me as I picked myself off the couch.

"I think they sent you instead so they wouldn't have to face my wrath. Appa is acting out recently. He's become cunning. I think it's because he and Vedanta Uncle are working too close together," scheming for my downfall went unsaid.