Chapter 21: Potions & Problems

Harry's 3rd POV

"Here are a few potions that I have specially brewed for this class. Can anyone identify them?" Slughorn questioned Harry's class. As usual, Hermione's hand shot up first, probably the outcome of intense cramming study sessions.

"Amortentia, the potion that allows you to smell the scents most appealing to you, and also a love potion; the Draught of Living Death, which puts the drinker in such a deep sleep, that almost like death and Felix Felicis, also known as Liquid Luck," Hermione replied, effectively destroying Harry's hope that he'd actually, finally, have a Potions teacher who didn't think he was daft.

To be fair, Snape did hate his guts from the moment Harry stepped into the room. That was plain mean, Harry supposed. He sighed, watching the time tick by on a wizard clock hanging up behind Slughorn. Worrying about where Ron was, he got his quill and parchment ready to make notes, so that Ron could catch up. A few other students were missing too, so Harry thought it might have been a club thing or something. Not that Ron actually went to a club. 

After being instructed to "open the textbook to page 51, and follow the instructions" to make the Draught of Living Death, Harry turned to the correct page to start brewing.

Now, Harry knew that he was no particularly bright child, but when he couldn't actually read the page, he couldn't say he wasn't worried. He stood there for moment, contemplating whether or not to switch textbooks with Ron. Technically, Ron would just get this messed up one, and then Harry could blame it on Ron's absence.

Harry took a closer look at what seemed to be scribbles along the side of the margin, but was actually scrawled notes on the potion. Taking a look at the Potions prodigy (Malfoy), and decided to take a chance to somehow beat his peers, Harry followed the modified instructions.

The following recipe can be followed to brew this potion: (The textbook said.)

Add the Infusion of Wormwood.

Add the powered root of asphodel.

Stir twice clockwise.

Add the sloth brain.

Add the Sopophorous Bean's juice (cut with a silver dagger.)

Stir seven times anti-clockwise.

Harry read the writing next to it too:

Crush the bean with knife. Better method of obtaining bean's juice.

Add a clockwise stir to every seventh clockwise stir.

He got to work soon after that, keeping an eye on Slughorn as he wandered from table to table, commenting on his classmates' work.

When it was almost the end of the lesson, Harry had a pale pink potion brewing at the bottom of his cauldron. He waited nervously, wondering if he'd made a mistake following the notes of a messy textbook-scrawler.

"Harry!" Slughorn exclaimed. "This potion is absolutely brilliant! I bet, one drop would kill us all! Only one person, in my entire history of teaching, has ever managed to get such amazing results in an hour!"

Harry beamed, as he was handed a small, corked bottle of Felix Felicis. Looking around the other cauldrons of Draughts, he was so shocked that none of the masters of Potions in his class were successful in making the potion well. Hermione looked shocked too. 

He smirked in Malfoy's general direction, finding him rushing, and shoving his belongings into his satchel. Harry frowned, when he realised Malfoy didn't give two flying shits about his Potions success. Under normal circumstances, Harry would have gotten a glare, and hurtful comments being thrown at him. Well, he wouldn't actually know, since he'd never beaten Malfoy at Potions. Maybe once or twice, with Hermione's help, but never by himself.

Trying to be obvious but not to obvious, Harry sauntered up to Malfoy's desk, in attempts to show off his success. But as soon as he made his way down, Malfoy nervously clutched the nape of his neck, and almost ran out of the classroom. Weird. 

At this point, Hermione walked to him, and together they left, to search for Ron. 

"Harry, how on earth did you do that?" Hermione interrogated him. Harry, who did not think that it was the best of ideas to show Hermione the book, shrugged. 

"No idea. Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of Potions!" 

"Ha, as if!" 

Hurt at the fact Hermione laughed at him, Harry asked, "What? You don't think I could finally be good at a subject?"

"No, I'm just joking. Magic is in your blood anyway. Just a teeny bit surprised!"

Laughing, Harry lightly shoved Hermione as they made their way down the corridor, and up to Gryffindor tower. 

"Anyway, do you know where Ron is?" Harry asked, worriedly.

"Yeah, he said something about an Omega Studies meet in the Great Hall. Beta's is tomorrow, and Alpha's is the day after. Are you planning on going?"

"Maybe. I mean, I've never really been told how an Alpha should act, and I don't wanna offend anyone here."

"Makes sense. I thought you'd say you were going to miss class," Hermione grinned. 

Harry chuckled, "That too, just for the other thing too. I mean, I know Alphas are scary, but I swear Malfoy almost ran away from me."

Hermione frowned a bit, as if actually thinking about Malfoy's secondary gender. "I mean, it couldn't be impossible for him to be an omega, could it?"

"Nah, I thought he had two Alpha parents. Arranged marriages and stuff." 

She looked at him, as if she knew something he didn't. 

"What?" Harry asked. "Just Slytherin gossip."

Herrmione sighed out a simple, "Sure, Harry" - before they found Ron in the Great Hall. 

"Hey guys," Ron said, smiling at them.

"Hey, how was Omega Studies? Think Harry and I should attend to the Beta and Alpha ones?"

The trio burst into easy and natural conversation, but Malfoy was always in Harry's brain. 

A/N Hey guys! I want to say a big, big thank you to everyone, and also apologise for my 'absence' on Wattpad. Feel free to skip if you're new or reading this like 1000 years from now, but anyway. First, I would like to thank everyone for all the votes and comments, which have definitely help me stay motivated to keep writing! I appreciate them so, so, so much, and I can't thank y'all enough. 

Next, I would like to say thanks to all the people adding my story to their reading lists, which have definitely helped more and more people discover my story! We're around 13K views, how crazy is that?! So, even if you're just reading, thank you, and I hope you like the story so far. 

Now, time for the apology. I know I promised that I wouldn't abandon this story, and I won't. I'll try to keep going. I might not have a regular updating date, but I will try to update once a week, or maybe even one in two weeks. I think archiving, or adding this story to your library will give you notifications whenever I update. I usually do that with most of the stories I read on Wattpad

Anyway, I'm trying to make these chapters longer, and better, so feedback on this chapter would be amazing! Thank you :)