Chapter 26

Joel's POV

For two weeks straight, Zaria didn't speak to me. We agreed that we wouldn't go public yet and leave everyone to their speculations, but this was different. She wasn't even sparing me a glance not to talk of a wave in greeting. She was completely avoiding me and I have no idea why.

I tried to speak to her severally but anytime she sees me she will scram like I was a deadly parasite that she shouldn't come in contact with. I was getting frustrated. I thought of giving her the space, maybe she'd come around but there was nothing.

Was it something I did?

Did I pry too much into her private life?

Was I being nosy?

No... She kissed me.

I tried to call her severally but she wouldn't pick up. It was all too frustrating. I decided I was go into to talk to Lyla. She would probably know what is going on, because Charles had absolutely no clue.

I walked to love garden and saw Lyla and Zaria. I walked up to them, with at least a ray of hope that she would talk to me in the presence of her friend.

"Hi, girls." I waved in greeting. Lyla waved back but Zaria just buried her face in her books.

"Zaria, hi." I repeated, calling her name with a genuine smile playing on her lips. She didn't reply. Instead she started to pack her books quickly.

"Lyla, I'm going to class. I will see you later." And with that, she stood up and left. Lyla's mouth hung open like she was about to catch a fly. I groaned in frustration and ran my hand across my face, plopping down on the seat Zaria just stood from. Lyla looked at me.

"I've been noticing the strain between the both of you but I chose to ignore it. Now, I have to ask. What's going on?" Lyla asked incredulously.

"I wouldn't be here if I knew why she's acting this way. I thought you'd know" I told her.

"Me?" She let out a sarcastic laugh. "Zaria is the most discreet person I know. She doesn't tell me anything. What happened?" Lyla asked again.

"I don't know!" I let out, frustrated. "We went for a date two weekends ago, everything ended fine. Only for us to come back on Monday and she isn't talking to me." I explained to Lyla who let out a surprised sound.

"Just like that? You sure you didn't say anything to upset her?" She asked and I frowned at her in disbelief. She rose her hand in mock surrender. "I'm just making sure."

"You know me, Lyla. I would never hurt Zaria. I care way too much about her to hurt a hair on her skin." I stated pointedly.

"The more reason why this is so strange." Lyla stroke her chin thoughtfully. "Do you think this is Ada's doing?" She asked me and I sighed, shaking my head uncertainty.

"I don't know, I'm not sure. I don't even know what to think right now." I exhaled then looked at Lyla. "Can you help me find out what's up with her? Please?" I asked and she nodded.

"Of course, I'll try my best. We both know how thick skinned Zaria is, so it would be pretty difficult." Lyla stated and I nodded.

"I'll appreciate whatever I can get. I'd speak to Charles too, maybe he can get me something too." I told her and she nodded.

"Let's just hope she's alright." Lyla chipped in. I sighed.

I'm not giving up on you, Zaria. Not a chance.

☆☆☆☆

Zaria's POV

As soon as the bell for closing time went off, I packed my bag and other materials. I didn't want to stay for long in class because of Joel. I had no idea what to say to him. I couldn't bring myself to do what Sam asked me to. I can't end things between us.