Chapter Eighteen

Fareeha's clenched teeth seethed as Angela carefully pulled off her bandages, trying her best to massage her tan skin as the adhesive stripped at it. Lowering her head, Fareeha did her best to remain quiet and still, but the skin at her back was still tender, and her nerves burst in pain as the fresh skin wrung out.

"Sorry, love," Angela muttered, sadly, "You've already taken over the dose of pain reliever- I can't exactly give you more."

"It's fine," Fareeha spoke in, what she thought was, a soft voice, but it was more like a growl.

Angela frowned, but she finally removed the large dressing that covered most of the soldier's back, her eyes squinting at how torn and raw her skin had become. She carefully disposed of the old dressing, stuffing it in a bin nearby, before shaking a small canister of aerosol, spraying disinfectant over her back.

"You should probably let it breathe if you've had this on since you stopped in India. How is Utopaea?"

Fareeha shrugged, lightly, "Its hospital rooms are nice."

Angela sighed, her knee resting on the bed beside her lover, giving her enough space to reach around her head in a hug, "I'm sorry."

"No, no," Fareeha sighed, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be upset in the first place, neither should I be taking it out on you."

Groaning, Angela answered, "Aren't I the one person you should be open enough with for those reasons? Somebody to talk to and all that?"

Fareeha sighed, listlessly, as Angela rubbed her cheek against her scalp, "Come on. What ails you? You completed the mission. You brought Mei back, safe, and also escorted something that could save an entire continent."

Chuckling under her breath, Fareeha raised her head, "Maybe it's just my mom, I don't know. I had Lena run the stats- in terms of efficiency, that mission was run at, about, thirty percent."

She gently pulled away from Angela, though the doctor remained kneeling on the body, frowning sadly as Fareeha continued, "More than that, though... I hate you having to see me like this."

Angela smiled, sweetly, "You're my hero. It's my job to make sure you get better. I understood that when I fell in love with you."

"Well, yeah," Fareeha muttered, lowly, "But you said you'd be the one difficult to love. I never stipulated how difficult it'd be to love me."

Angela eyed her, curiously, "And who said it was difficult?"

Fareeha paused, slightly in her own bewilderment, stuttering to find an answer, "W-Well, I mean... I know you'd rather have me here than off being in dangerous situations. I know it can't be easy to see my body like-"

"I don't particularly care," Angela shrugged, "You could come home in a jar; as long as you're alive, I couldn't care less in what form you're in."

She grinned, "I'd just carry you around in my briefcase all day."

Fareeha frowned, unconvinced, but Angela quickly scooted over, sitting in front of her. She watched her hair dangling there, parting gently as Angela reached her hand over, holding her chin as soft as she could, lifting her head to face her. Her cheeks painted red, Fareeha's eyes stared off into the distance, not wanting Angela to see her, but the doctor only smiled, grasping a handkerchief to clear her face.

"Even if you happened to not be my hero any more, I'd still love you," Angela confirmed with a smile, "Hell, if I could fly myself; if I could fight my own battles, I'd still love you. So don't think seeing you weak makes me think- If anything, I love you so much more, knowing you're so fine with being so vulnerable around me."