49

"We have to get Mia a bed." I mumbled to Colby sleepily as we walked outside to get an Uber. "We will just go to Walmart really fast. Do you want to go home first? You look exhausted." He asked as I shrugged, "I'm okay. Let's just go to Walmart, get her a bed and go home." I said as he called an Uber. 

When the Uber got here we piled in the back seat, I was honestly so tired that I almost fell asleep against Colby's shoulder as we took the short drive to Walmart.

When we got out I felt like I was going to pass out from exhaustion but I had to push through. I was a little nervous though because when I was tired,  my mind was usually really mean to me.

"Do you want me to put you in a cart so you can sleep?" He asked as I chuckled, "you're such a goofball, no. I'm fine. Let's just go before I pass out." I said with a laugh and started walking towards the baby section.

I was getting a little worried as I scanned the travel cots because my heart was starting to race. I felt like I was going to pass out or panic, and I really didn't want to do either. I gripped onto the shelves in front of me and focused on my breathing.

The image of Stephanie pushing me into the wall played in my head on repeat, as the sound of my dad flatlining played in my ears.

"How about...you do me a favor....and I'll do your friends one."

"I'm....im so sorry."

"Your dad had a heart attack."

"C-Colby it's h-happening." I whispered and turned to him, covering my ears with my hands, still trying to focus on my breathing. "Okay, hey...it's okay." He said and held me with his free arm, pressing his cheek to the top of my head as I burried my face in the right side of his chest.

I didn't want to wake Mia but I actually couldn't breathe. I was starting to get worried about my dad again. "W-w-we should g-go back." I whispered as pain rippled through my chest. "Shhh, we can go back if you want to, you just have to breathe for me right now Cor, you're okay." He said as I got the weird feeling in my chest again.

"S-something is wrong...h-he's gone...oh god Colby he's gone!" I shrieked as Mia started crying. Her cries brought a sense of reality back as Colby lowered us to the ground, "shhhh you're okay. Breathe for me baby, we can drop Mia off at home then go back and check on him, they would call if something was wrong, love. It's okay." He cooed and bounced Mia trying to calm her down.

I nodded and took in a deep breath, trying to bring myself back so Colby could worry about calming Mia down, "mama." She said as I started breathing again, pulling myself out of the attack. "Mama is okay sweetheart, she's okay." Colby cooed as all of my energy left my body.

I collapsed into him like a rag doll as I caught my breath, "I'm s-Sorry." I whispered as he shook his head then kissed the top of mine, "it's alright baby girl, you're alright." He whispered as I rode out the rest of the attack.

I was really exhausted now, but the weird feeling in my chest was still there, something was wrong with my dad. "I have to go back." I said as he nodded. "Okay, let's just drop Mia off at the house with everyone." He said as I finally stood up, "okay." I whispered and grabbed the cot we needed.

By the time we checked out Mia was asleep against Colby's shoulder again which was a relief. I felt bad that I even woke her in the first place.

We got to the house about 20 minutes later. The feeling in my chest was still there which was the only reason I was still awake, "hey! You guys are back!" Sam said as we came into the room.

"Not for long...is there any way you guys can watch Mia? We have to go back to the hospital." I said and bit my lip, "is everything okay?" He asked as I shrugged, "I have a bad feeling..I don't know." I said and rubbed my eyes as Colby set up the cot.

"Okay, yeah of course." Sam said as I nodded to him, "I seriously owe you, Sam." I said as he hugged me, "no, you seriously don't." He said with a laugh as Colby took my hand, "we will be back soon, I just need to check on him." I said and rubbed my chest where it was aching.

"We will be here when you get back." He said quietly as Colby led me back outside and to the Uber that was waiting. "They would call if something was wrong...w-wouldn't they?" I asked as he held my hand in his lap,

"I think they would, baby. It's okay though if you feel like you have to be there then we will be there, even if he's okay." He said as I smiled up at him, "you're the best husband ever, you know that right?" I asked as he grinned, "I try." He said as I leaned my head on his shoulder again.

When we got to the hospital I could feel the anxiety bubbling up again.I wanted him to be okay so badly.

I needed him to be okay.

When we got to the room the lights were off, it seemed like nobody was in there, but then I saw it.

Someone was standing over his bed holding a pillow up, almost like they were about to smuggle him, "hey!! What are you doing?!" I shrieked as Stephanie turned around. She looked almost angry when she saw it was me, then turned to press the pillow onto my dads face.

"STOP!!" I screamed as Colby ran over and yanked her off, "HE WAS SUPPOSED TO DIE!!" Stephanie screamed as I brought my shaking hand to my mouth as she fought to break loose from Colby's arms.

"Stephanie stop! Y-you're having an attack! It's okay...it's okay you'll get through it." I said comfortingly as she shook her head, laughing.

"No, you idiot! I want him dead! I want you to feel the pain of losing him like you made me feel the pain of being in a mental hospital!! I want you to suffer like I did!" She screamed and fought to try and come after me but Colby was holding onto her so tight she couldn't. "You deserve to suffer!!" She screamed and reached for me.

"Stephanie, it's okay, did you take your medicine?" My dad asked calmly as he looked at us in shock. "FUCK my medicine! I don't need it! I'm normal! I'm normal unlike your fucked up daughter!" She screamed which caused my heart to drop.

"DON'T TALK ABOUT HER LIKE THAT!" Colby growled as my dad looked at me, "don't listen to her, squirt..she's not herself right now..she didn't take her medicine." He said as I just stared at her.

"I wouldn't need medicine if it weren't for you, you're the reason I'm fucked up...you're the reason I was locked away! You're a disappointment and everyone is too afraid to tell you!!! You would be better off dead Cora, that way everyone in your life would be free from your bullshit." She hissed out as I just stared at her.

Everything I was thinking, she said out loud.

Maybe she was right.

I nodded slowly then turned around and left the room. "They need help in there." I mumbled to a nurse as I heard my dad and Colby calling out my name.

I just walked. I didn't have a real destination, I just knew I wanted to be far away from that room.

I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket but I didn't want to answer. I just needed to be alone for a minute with my thoughts. I honestly didn't know what to believe anymore, was she really mentally ill or was she just malicious? It didn't matter at the end of the day though. She said what I was thinking.

I was really starting to think she was right.