Chapter 2

Everything was blurry and what was around the awakening youth made no sense whatsoever. At first, she couldn't hear anything, but after what seemed like forever, sounds slowly grew louder and louder and louder. Then all that could be heard was a constant, annoying, cacophonous beeping noise that wouldn't stop, and could wake the dead.

Ace abruptly sat up and immediately regretted it. The unfamiliar world around her was chaos but not soon enough did the world around her  shift back to its original parameters.

Looking around the new environment that Ace found herself in, she noticed that she was currently in a light cream colored hospital room and that monotonous sound was coming from some kind of machine, one of which the name of escaped her for the time being. She  slumped over hanging her head in her slender hands trying to remember what on earth had happened to have had her be in the hospital.

The girl sighed and leaned back with her face towards the ceiling and her long arms spread at her sides on the bed holding her upright. She turned her head to the right and glanced to her hand lying on the bed, when Ace screamed out a rather colorful profanity and jumped up on her feet.

There was a person lying on the bed, exactly where she was sitting. And just where her right hand was a second ago as well. But her hand or body wasn't on the person, they were in them.

The girl that still lie sleeping on the hospital bed bore striking resemblance to Ace. She had the same straight dirty blonde hair as her, as well as the freckles splattered across her nose and cheeks.

The only differences were she had bruises all along her face and arms, and most likely other places too that weren't shown. She wore a hospital gown and was hooked up to IVs, and the loud beeping machine.

Acacia looked down at her garb and saw that she was still wearing her  red and white Victoria's Secret shirt that read 'FRIES BEFORE GUYS', blue skinny jeans, and the pair of converse that she had on earlier. When she left the school this morning.

She started to pace and breath hard, continuously raking her hands through her long hair, trying not to have a panic attack.

That girl lying comatose on the hospital bed is me, I am her.. Ace thought.

It finally clicked in. Ace stared at her, it herself rather, and started having a hard time being in this room coming to a realization that this isn't some crazy dream. She had to get out of the room, she was suffocating and the sound of monotone beeping was becoming unbearable to hear.

Acacia practically ran to the door to avoid the oncoming panic attack that she could feel coming on. She tried to open the door that would lead to the freedom in which she needed  but she couldn't feel anything and her  hand would just phase through the hard wood, or whatever that stupid door was made of. Who knows anymore. She gave up quickly on attempting to open the door, as all the attempts had failed. Holding her  breath, she slowly passed through the door without trouble and breathed out feeling relieved. Ace had to admit she felt a little bit like Kitty Pryde from X-men. And she kinda liked, that is until she remembered why she was able to do that. And she prayed that she wasn't going crazy.

Once outside in the hall, people were loitering about going this way and that. Ace ran up to a young woman, but she moved in Ace's  direction and passed right through her.

Okay, she thought. So I cannot be seen or heard. Because let's face it, if you heard a girl scream 'holy fucking shit!' at the top of her lungs you would come see what the hell it was about.

She wandered through the hospital's halls with no one noticing her, hoping to find some kind of  answers or an escape. She wasn't quite sure of which one she would prefer.

As she rounded a corner Ace immediately hid behind it, forgetting about her 'invisibility'. She saw her  parents were there talking an older man who seemed to be a doctor. Realizing that hiding was foolish, Ace came out of the hiding spot and up to the three adults. Not one of them noticed that she was there.

"I am sorry, there is just nothing more we can do. We can only hope that she wakes up on her own." The older doctor said to her mother and father who both looked worry stricken and as if they hadn't slept in days.

"And what if she doesn't?" Acacia's  mother responded worryingly on the verge of tears.

"Then its up to you how long we keep her on life support and when we pull the plug."

She burst into tears and turned to her husband who held on to her tightly and whispered into her hair that everything was going to workout. It was too bad that her father wasn't a convincing liar.

Ace studied the two of them. She  had never in her life seen either of her parents cry, but here they were breaking down in the hospital waiting room.

Acacia quickly turned away not being able witness her  mother and father crumble before her. Hearing her parents cry caused Ace to run back to where she started. Her suffocating room. With her physical counterpart lying in a coma. And Ace  feeling as if she were being torn from the inside out.