04 | Wake and Bake

Ronnie's POV

Ronnie's POV

I wasn't a morning person. By any means. But if you asked if I liked dusk or dawn better, I would choose dawn. Something about the colors in the sky, the pinks and purples mixing together, was mesmerizing to me. I rarely got to enjoy those types of peaceful mornings, because I wasn't too keen on waking up until the absolute last minute. But this morning was different.

It was just a little after five in the morning when I woke up, two hours before my alarm would've woken me up. The sun was just on the cusp of rising, it still slightly dark outside when I peered out the closed blinds in front of my window. I raised the blinds halfway up and unlocked the window, lifting it up easily. I leaned my hands against the windowsill and poked my head out the window, inhaling the fresh morning air.

I sat there for a moment, closing my eyes as I basked in my tiredness. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, I never could if I woke up before my alarm woke me up. So I had two hours to kill before I had to start getting ready for school.

My hands left the windowsill as I started walking towards my bedroom door, stepping over all the clothes that were thrown across the floor messily. I opened my door slowly, walking out on my tiptoes as I knew most of my family were probably still asleep. There was a chance my dad was awake, but just in case he wasn't, I was light on my feet.

The sun was starting to rise more and more by the minute, flooding light into the house. I avoided turning on lights because of this, trusting my instincts to keep me from tripping. I had lived here all my life so I've walked these halls in darkness too many times to count.

However, once I got to the kitchen, I did turn on the lights before I went over to the cabinets and grabbed a bowl. I got the milk and cereal and poured them into the bowl, putting them away before I started making my way back to my room. I was extra careful walking because I didn't want any milk to spill on the way up, knowing I would most likely leave it instead of clean it up.

I shut my bedroom door behind me quietly, walking over to the window and sitting the bowl on the windowsill. I stood for a second, when I suddenly remembered a sweet little rolled up present Mischa gave me before I left for Paris that I hid in my room. On the one hand, it is five in the morning, but one the other, it's five in the afternoon somewhere else.

The joint was resting peacefully in my bedside table, hidden between the pages of a book. I had never been too worried about my parents finding anything because it was rare I gave them cause to not trust me.

Without wasting another second, I went and grabbed the joint and the lighter laying in the same drawer. I kept them in my hands as I walked back over to my bowl and picked it up. I was lucky, I got the room that had roof access. My room was the only room that had a window that led out onto a roof, which I used to my advantage many times. Most of the time, it was used for sneaking out, but this morning, all I wanted to do was sit on it and watch the sunrise while eating my breakfast and smoking.