Chapter 2. "Remember."

About this chapter: I was researching on the hunters and Zoë and I came across the myth of Kallisto. While it doesn't do Artemis any favours, I thought it was great to develop Zoë's storyline so I've adapted it a little bit and this chapter revolves around it.

Also, IMPORTANT: While I've managed to keep it general and I didn't go into details there are mentions of sexual assault in this chapter so reader's discretion is advised.

Disclaimer: See chapter 1.

It was honestly painful to write this but I'm happy with the result and I hope you guys think the same. Please review, fav and follow!

Cheers for reading!

Chapter 2. "Remember."

The sorority between the Hunters was something so strange for Zoë that she couldn't quite comprehend it, yet it made her feel at home almost instantly.

It was so surreal, being amongst a family who actually supported one another. Her seemingly eternity with the Hesperides, it had made her comfortable with a hostile and cold existence. Now, with the Hunters, a whole new world was opening up right before her eyes. 

So, yes, she had had to endure some cold shoulders from those who became hunters a few centuries before her but that was natural, and couldn't concern her. Npt when they had made it clear to her that they would have her back in times of danger, even at the cost of their own lives.

Just like that, Zoë had been introduced to a sisterhood. A real sisterhood. Soon enough, the Hesperides had become little more than blurred nightmares in her mind.

Something she realized quite early during her time under Lady Artemis' service was that the bond the sisters had created came not only from their strength and resilience, but also because they were all survivors. 

The stories they had were all different, yet the same in the pivotal moments. They had all been casted aside by a world that was harsh to many. They had all stumbled across the world, looking for a purpose. They had all been saved when Lady Artemis took them in. 

Zoë had been with the Hunt for a few decades when Artemis began to allow her to join the small group of privileged maidens who accompanied her on her missions. It was then that she made her first friends: Phoebe, a ginger daughter of Apollo with incredible tracking skills, and Kallisto, the lieutenant of the Hunters and a great strategist.

The story that concerns us began one sunny day when Zoë and Phoebe were running through the grass field they had set camp on in the search of a source of water where they could also bathe. The air was warm and the sun rays were joyous as they welcomed Spring after yet another hard Winter. They sky had not a cloud, its blue so deep it seemed to have been painted by the Gods.

The former Guardian glanced at her ginger friend beside her, barely comprehending what she was blabbing about. Then, she couldn't help but smile. She would endure all the incessant talking if it meant she got to stay there, surrounded by supporting women.

"My friend, I know that you have stopped listening a while ago," Phoebe then taunted her, her musical voice light with a glee that never seemed to simmer down.

"I apologize, Phoebe. I was reminiscing," Zoë replied before smirking and shoving Phoebe away playfully. "Besides, you were probably telling me a story I have heard dozens of times before."

Phoebe's echoed through the vacant and otherwise peaceful fields. "Why am I friends with such a cold person?" 

"I am cold and thoughtful, while you are cheerful and childish." Zoë shrugged, smiling when Phoebe snorted. "It only makes sense for immortals so unlike one another to be the best of friends."