29 | Battle Friends & Foes

It had come in the dead of night, silent and unexpected.

The Sabor Tooth pack had been ill-prepared for such a dangerous attack.

The wolves had been so focused on the prophecy and the looming war ahead, they had lacked sight of the danger that loomed closer to home. A threat that had plagued them for centuries, having never given up on eradicating them from the land.

It had begun unexpectedly with fire erupting in homes and people being dragged through the air. Spears being thrown and blood trails following.

Screams resounded across Snake's Canyon.

A pregnant woman and a child sat cornered by three witches. The pup let out whimpers while the mother attempted to remain strong despite her various wounds.

A growl emerged from behind them as a brunette girl came out of the shadows.

"Leave them alone. Pick on someone your own size!" The girl said as she leaped through the air and shifted as she landed in front of them.

She was prepared to go down fighting for them.

Amongst the blood shed, reinforcements had shown up to aid the pack in their time of need.

The Lunar Eclipse pack lived just north-east of them and had heard their howls travel through the chilly night air. It had taken no longer than an hour to reach Snake's Canyon and their orders had been clear.

All four packs had a truce that in times of need, they would battle alongside one another like allies. The survival of their species outweighed any disagreements.

As much as Ryker hated it, he was the wolves' King and all would lay down their lives for him and his son, Ryder.

Many years ago, when their Luna had perished, the Alpha had given most of the political decisions over to the Luna, Lylian, of the Lunar Eclipse pack to handle affairs while he stayed in Snake's Canyon to raise Ryder.

It had been so long that he had hardly considered them the royal family anymore. They had seen more peace over the years than ever before for simply stepping away from war.

However, this did not stop the occasional battle in attempt to wipe them out completely.

The Witches always knew that in order to truly win, they must hit them where it hurts - destroying the heart of the Lunar Territories.

It had not escaped their knowledge that the true heart was their Prince heir.

Without Ryder, all would be lost.

Amongst the battle, the young prince was busy helping the women and children evacuate to the nearest pack for safety.

But what truly gnawed at him was that his mate was in the battle field, doing what she did best - fight like a barbarian.

It was hard to stay focused when he knew that if she was lost, he would be too. Their lives were now tied together by the bond and they were stronger together than apart.

"Hey Parker, take over. I'm gonna join the warriors and fight like hell for us."

"But we have to keep you safe," the other boy replied in a haste.

"Without them, there will be no pack to lead. I must save them."

"And who will save you?" The young medic replied, uncertainty plastered on his face.

Ryder only grinned in response before shifting and taking off at full speed.

He could find her by her scent alone.