'𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳'

{inspired by the fan art above - the picture does not belong to me}

Winter in Avonlea was freezing and most of the time, gloomy. But Anne Shirley-Cuthbert loved all seasons, including the bleak winters at Green Gables. She adored how the snow-covered the roofs of the houses and branches of the trees, making everything look like a winter wonderland. She loved taking a deep breath of the crisp, morning air when she stepped out of the house. And when she came home from school, the fireplace would always be lit, making the house feel warmer and cozier than ever.

It was another one of those bitter days at Green Gables. Anne was helping Marilla with dinner in the kitchen. Matthew Cuthbert was sitting in the parlour, reading the newspaper. Marilla continued chopping carrots as she told Anne to stir the chicken stew on the stove.

"Here Anne, add these vegetables into the soup as well." Marilla instructed.

Anne did as she was told and continued to mix the ingredients in the pot. 

"I'll keep an eye on the soup Anne. You can start setting the table."

Marilla hummed to herself as the fire crackled in the background. Anne put down the plates and cutlery on the table and looked around the kitchen, smiling.

"Oh Marilla, doesn't our house feel so warm and homely." Anne said cheerfully.

Marilla chuckled and agreed, "Yes, it does Anne." 

Soon, Marilla was pouring the soup in the bowls on the table.

"Matthew! Come on now, dinner is ready!" Marilla called out.

The Cuthberts sat down at the table and drank their hot vegetable soup. It was unusually quiet until there was a sudden knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Matthew mumbled and walked to the door.

Anne and Marilla waited at the table, curious to know who it was.

"Hello, Matthew." Said a panicked yet familiar voice.

"It's Mary, Sebastian's wife," Matthew said looking over at Marilla and Anne.

Mary stood on the front doorstep, holding a well-lit lantern in her hand. Marilla got up immediately and went over to the door. Anne got up as well, interested in what Mary had to say.

"Hello dear, is there something wrong?" Marilla asked.

Mary's eyebrows were threaded with panic and stress.

"Yes, I need to borrow an onion and a lemon, we don't have them at home and I need to make soup for Gilbert."

"Gilbert?" Anne asked worriedly, getting closer to the door.

"He's lying sick in bed and I need to make him a warm vegetable soup, it's the only medicine that I can make for him right now."

Anne's eyes widened in concern and her lips parted into the shape of an 'O'.

"Gilbert!? Is he okay? Does he feel better?! How bad is it?!" Anne blurted out.

"He's resting in bed, hoping to get better." Mary tried to assure Anne.

Anne just couldn't bear her poor Gilbert lying in bed, sick. She had to see him with her own eyes or she couldn't be able to sleep not knowing if he was alright.

"I'm coming with you!" Anne declared and looked over at her foster parents.

They nodded at her in agreeance. Anne threw her coat on and barely wrapped her scarf around her neck as she stuffed her feet into her boots. Marilla handed Mary the vegetables before the two left. It was dark and icy outside. The redhead stayed close to Mary, trying to make out which way they needed to go, using the two sources of light, moonlight and the lantern Mary was holding. They trudged briskly down the snowy path and through the gate of Green Gables. Anne buttoned her coat on the way and walked fast, trying not to trip over her untied laces.

They arrived at the Blythe/Lacroix's house and Sebastian opened the door, welcoming them into the warm household. 

"Hello Anne!" Sebastian exclaimed.

"Hi Sebastian, where is Gilbert?"

"Oh yes, Blythe. I was just with him. He's in his room, down the hallway."

Sebastian turned to his wife and explained how Gilbert's forehead felt hotter than usual. As Mary cut up the vegetables, Anne ripped her coat off and went directly to Gilbert Blythe's room.

"Gilbert?!"

A pale-looking Gilbert looked up at the redhead that had entered the room.

"Anne? What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean what am I doing here?! Mary told us you were sick and I came right away!"

Gilbert looked at his girlfriend with a weak smile.

"I'm fine! Mary and Bash are just overthinking it. It's just a cold." Gilbert simply replied.

Anne sat down at the chair next to his bed and grabbed his hand. 

"I was so worried about you." Anne's eyes filled with tears.

She reached her hand out to feel his forehead.

"Aw, Anne, don't tear up, I'm fine, really!"

"Gilbert, it's not the time to be stubborn, you're forehead is hot! Let me bring you a cool, wet towel to put on your forehead."

Anne rushed around and came back with the towel. She gently placed it on his warm forehead and sat back down next to him. They grabbed each other's hands again and sat in silence, looking into each other's eyes. Gilbert gazed at her with affection, his heart was so full, he didn't even feel sick. 

"Anne is the most perfect girl to ever exist." Gilbert thought.

Anne stared back at him with her big blue eyes, full of worry and anxiousness.

"How do you feel?" She asked softly, planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Better, thanks to you, carrots." He managed to smirk.

Anne blushed bright pink.

"I just had to see my boyfriend, you know?" She teased back.

Sebastian coughed as he stood at the doorway, "Am I interrupting something?"

Anne and Gilbert blushed harder. Mary rushed in with a bowl of soup on a tray. Without hesitating, Gilbert gulped his soup down and lied down to rest more. Mary and Sebastian decided to leave and give privacy to the two lovers. Before leaving, Mary whispered into Anne's ear, "Keep an eye on him."

Anne nodded and Mary left feeling relieved that Gilbert had Anne next to him. Anne reached out to feel his forehead again, it didn't feel as warm as when she had first checked. Anne finally felt relief, Gilbert was feeling better than before.

"Anne?"

"Yes?"

"I don't ever want you to leave my side. You never fail to make me feel better at my lowest times. You make me the best version of myself." He admitted, looking right into her ocean eyes.

Anne's heart fluttered at her boyfriend's words. She looked into his hazel eyes.

"I'll never leave your side, Gilbert Blythe. Because.. I love you."

The boy's heart almost skipped a beat. He scooted over on his bed and made room for Anne to lay down with him. Anne squeezed next to Gilbert and he put his arm around her tiny body.

"I love you too." He whispered.

Anne snuggled into his chest.

Nothing could replace the comfort they felt when they were next to each other.

a/n omg i hope you enjoyed it, this is my first one shot ever and idk if i love this or not.