'𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘰𝘯'

anne's pov

I skipped down the green path of Green Gables. Spring had finally bloomed in Avonlea and I couldn't be happier. When I made it to the white gate, I was confused as to why Jerry wasn't there. Usually, he'd be waiting and ready to go to school with his books in his hands.

"Jerry!! Come on or we'll be late!" I called towards the barn.

I watched Jerry run out of the red barn, hastily securing his books and chalkboard in his book holder.

"Sorry, Anne. I had extra work in the barn and then I sat down to read and-"

"Ok ok, let's go," I chuckled looking at the French boy. "I was supposed to meet Diana three minutes ago!"

"Diana?" Jerry's French accent rolled off his tongue.

"You know Diana, the raven-haired, beautiful girl." I smiled.

We chatted as we made our way to the meeting spot in the forest. I was looking up at the towering trees above us when I heard, "Anne!"

I lowered my gaze and saw Diana, running towards me. She gave me a big hug as I wrapped my arms around tightly. We quickly linked arms, staying close to each other and getting caught deep in conversation. Jerry fake coughed, reminding me that he was walking behind us.

"Oh right... Diana, you remember Jerry right? He started school a while ago."

"Yes, of course," Diana answered.

They stared at each other and I swear I saw Diana blushing.

"Well ok then."

I hated to break their moment but I had to usher them to school. I wouldn't wanna be late to any of Ms. Stacey's lessons, not for the world.

The three of us approached the schoolhouse. Diana and I separated from Jerry to place our glasses of milk in the cold pond and meet up with the girls.

"Morning Ruby," I said but Ruby looked distracted.

"Who is that cute boy you were walking with? The tall, dark one." Ruby's eyes shone with delight.

"Oh Ruby," Diana rolled her eyes. "You already have "dibs" on Gilbert Blythe," Diana said, emphasizing the "dibs" part.

"Yes but-"

Before Ruby could finish her sentence, Ms. Stacey called us inside. We all took our scarves and coats off, getting ready to learning. But today, Mrs. Lynde was in the schoolhouse too and she was going to teach us something we weren't expecting.

"What is Mrs. Lynde doing here?" I heard whispers all around the classroom.

"Okay everybody, please settle down!" Mrs. Lynde called out.

The students that were scattered around the classroom, made their way to their tables.

"Today, Mrs. Lynde will be assisting me to teach you all how to slow dance," said Ms. Stacey.

"What?" I blurted out.

Everyone silenced and stared at me. I felt my cheeks burn and looked down at my boots.

"Well then, I'll tell you the partners and we can get started! The Spring Dance is coming up and you kids are going to need to know how to dance properly," stated Mrs. Lynde.

I was thrilled to be going to the Spring Dance but I didn't wanna waste a precious lesson on learning how to dance. But that wasn't the worst of it.

"The partners are Billy and Jane, Diana and Charlie, Ruby and Gilbert, Anne and Jerry, Josie and Moody, Tillie and..."

I couldn't hear the rest. Ruby let out a piercing squeal and the boys across the room started groaning. The class turned into chaos. Being paired with Jerry wasn't a problem for me, though. Jerry is like my brother, being his dance partner would be fun. Of course Ruby was the happiest girl on the planet to be paired with Gilbert Blythe.