20 | september 29, 2019

Tuesday

To: Justin Reinhart

You won't believe what I found out about Rachel's Diner— it is owned by the Carter family; Wren Carter's to be exact! Remember him? I described him as the boy that shared the same shade as your eyes and the one who ignored me the rest of the introduction two days ago. The rude and silent boy? That's him.

I almost laughed when I saw him wearing a light pink apron by the counter as he wore his usual stone faced expression. What a combination right? It doesn't suit him at all. If only he relaxed a bit and smiled here and there, I would have forgave him for being rude.

The chimes by the entrance announced my arrival and he was the first person to spot me. Being the insecure and overly conscious person I am, I slightly panicked. I froze on my spot that I was lightly shoved to the side because I was blocking the entrance. Until now, I still don't know why my legs couldn't move that time. Was it because I felt intimidated by him? Did my first impression of Wren refrained me from wanting to be friends with him? I don't know. Was it?

There's something the way he behaves tells me there's more than a rude attitude beneath his mask. He's quite mysterious that I couldn't help but feel curious and intimidated. It's like he spent years building walls to keep outsiders like me from breaking the barrier. Who is Wren Carter really?

But the uneasiness vanished when Luke was suddenly behind me, his hands were on my lower back as he lightly pushed me forward to where Wren was standing. Luke told me he usually hangs out in the diner with his friends while they annoy Wren for his punishment.

I know right, I was surprised too. I later found out that Wren was sent to work in the diner because apparently, he disobeyed his father for some personal reason Luke didn't elaborate. Wren has to work until the end of the year or a bigger punishment will be waiting for him. I wanted to ask more but I knew it wasn't Luke's secret to tell so I didn't. I guess it's a story for another time.

Grumbling, Wren handed me a spare apron and called for a woman named Tracy, the manager. Well, it's not Wren Carter if Rude isn't his middle name. He didn't even say hi or acknowledged my presence but then again, it's Wren we're talking about. I bet you wouldn't like this guy either. You two are polar opposites.

On the bright side, that was the first time I heard his voice. It was deep and husky that matched well with his ice cold expression as his hard features complimented it. For a single word he uttered, who knew I could get attracted to his voice? Don't worry, I don't mean that in a romantic way (I'm not saying you might take it the wrong way and get jealous or something because like I said, it's impossible.) I was just attracted that's all. Geez, why am I even explaining myself.

Tracy assigned me to the counters like Wren and I was relieved when he was three counters away from me. I don't think I could handle his coldness and aura if I ended up beside him. I'd freeze to death.

I had experience being at the front so Tracy didn't have a hard time teaching me the basics. I've worked at bigger and pressuring places before this anyway. Managing the front was a piece of cake. But boy I was wrong. I didn't know the diner was that famous and crowded that I earned a couple of complaints now and then.

I think most people only went to the diner because the roller skating rink finally reopened after some alterations but I think it's actually because of the boy three counters away from me. Probably just to check out who this mean looking guy is. Some don't really bother hiding their interests so it's pretty easy to spot a handful of them.

Also, I learned that Tracy is an alumni of Raleigh that graduated 3 years ago. She used to be the janitress and got promoted to be the manager recently. Tracy shared after work that she was sticking around in town because she didn't want to be too far from home, says she doesn't have the heart to leave the place where she grew up in all her life. Tracy also goes to a university that's quite near the diner and is apparently a major in art!

We both love to paint so we instantly clicked and chatted for hours after our shifts ended. We stayed in the diner as we exchanged favorites and emptied two cups of ice cream. Wren was still there too, still punching orders with the same expression. I tried asking Tracy why was Wren working in his family's business for the whole night but all I got was a shrug. Yep, you read that right. He has to work the whole night. I wonder what pissed off his parents for him to grace me with his signature crap-tastic mood?

Luke and his friends left in the middle of my shift after they earned a snarl and death glares from Wren. The other three greeted me when I brought their food to their table and I was glad they treated me nicely like a friend. They actually conversed with me you know. I even earned a couple of compliments and encouragements from Eric and Kyle, saying that I shouldn't work too hard since Wren mostly has the longest line of all five. I had to laugh at that because it is true. Kim just kept goofing around, attempting to shoot two pieces of french fries to his mouth as he made a fool out of himself.

You have to meet the guys, Justin! They are all likeable and super friendly that you might actually start hanging out with them. You'll like them instantly! I think you and Kim would click faster though, you both just compliment each other. Kim has humor and you are easily amused. I wish you could meet them.

I really like them all you know. The girls has to meet them tomorrow! Their whole image and personality just screams kindness and every nice word you can think of.

Uhh.. actually, maybe not all of them.

Sincerely,
Nayomi