Cᴀᴛᴀʟɪsᴛ

The worse thing that could happen to anyone in a relationship is when you've offended someone you love and the person says nothing about it. Gosh!

You're just there, hanging on a thread, in the air perhaps.

Fred did not have his bath the previous night. He got to his apartment at about 3:15 AM. He thought he could sit on the little pavement at Cynthia's front porch till dawn. But it soon started to rain heavily,he thought she might show him some clemency by opening the door for him when the rain started, he gave the door a couple of soft bangs and called her name severally.
'Ceecee! Forgive me!' He cried.

He began to shiver and his teeth were chattering uncontrollably. 'Sh-sh-shit!' He remembered his phone was in his pocket, he brought it out and quickly clicked the power button at the side, but it refused respond. He got up, attempted to knock at the door for one last time but didn't, he ran back into his car, tried to put on the device again, but it didn't come on. ' Shit!' He hit his steering hard.

He wanted to start the car but couldn't find the key for some minutes until he realized it must have fallen off his pocket when he sat at the front porch. He ran back out to look for it. He found it almost immediately he got to the porch on the pavement.

He stood there for a minute, under the heavy down pour, staring at the door as if she'd come open it any moment to let him in.

It all felt like some kind of penance to him. He turned around slowly, neck bent one side, he walked to his vehicle like a zombie.

He drove home.

He could barely see a thing. It still rained heavily. Only a couple of cars passed by slowly. His mind was blank, his body cold, however, regret and sadness burnt his soul. There was a furnace inside him.

Immediately he got to his own porch he removed his shoes to pour out the water inside it. He removed his socks and entered his apartment, he locked the door, went straight to his bedroom, he undressed, carelessly threw the wet clothes in his bathtub. He fell carefully on the bed, threw his blanket reluctantly over his groined and slept off in seconds.

The doorbell woke him up at about 11:00 AM. The bell rang thrice before he got up. It was ringing continually for the fourth time when he walked towards it trying to wrap himself with the beige blanket. ' Who the heck is there!' he yelled, after he had stepped on one end of the blanket and stumbled.

' Open this yeye, god-damned door mahn!' Okemute yelled back.

He opened the door, walked into the leaving room with the blanket leaving his rare unclad. He lied down on the longest couch and covered himself properly.

His well furnished apartment smelt of raspberry, even though Fred felt like the air freshner had stopped working, Okemute thought it was fresh. He inhaled with a deep breath and exhaled with a little smile, observing the living room with little nods.

He was not surprised at the different portraits, paintings and little sculptures of wood, metal and bronze he saw hanging around, to him some were aesthetically pleasing while others were absolute rubbish, most especially the abstract and surreal paintings.

' What is wrong with you guy?' he said has he walked behind Fred, ' I tried your number all through last night, it wasn't reachable. Even this morning. I was so scared because you drove off like a mad man last night.' He seats, ' Wetin dey sobobo na? This one you're shrinking yourself in this blanket like a shrimp. Na dat your shele mata? I think say you go don big pass who one babe go dey do anyhow for for all this relationship mata, you bad that year naw. Na wa for you o.'