20. Escape Mission Turned Tragedy

< Ashton

(Ashton's P

(Ashton's P.O.V.)

A loud banging woke both of us up. Without even realising it, tired, we had fallen asleep. Dread settled in my heart at the obnoxious sound. "This time, you don't try to act hero," I warned her as she jolted awake, wincing from the pain of having moved so suddenly.

"Anastasia? You in there?" the voice caught me off guard. That wasn't Ace's voice . . .

"Cameron?" she yelled, instantly gasping, having forgotten about her injured state.

"You okay?" I whispered worriedly. The door opened and Cameron zoned in on us, huddled together in the corner.

"Wha—" He pointed at us questioningly. I looked at Anastasia, only now remembering our close proximity.

A faint rush of red covered her cheeks and ears. "I was cold," she muttered defensively.

I shifted my eyes to Cameron and watched as he kneeled before her. He was about to touch her when I spoke up, "Careful, she's hurt."

His brows instantly furrowed at my words, and his eyes finally seemed to catch attention of the said injuries.

"What did he do?" he growled as he carefully reached to untie her hands and then mine.

Slowly, she pulled away from me but the pain flashed all across her face. I waited for her to stand up before doing so myself, but almost as soon as she had stood, she fell back down. I caught her before she could hit the floor. "How bad are you hurt?" I had forgotten about Emma's precious little kick in her stomach, it only made sense why it was painful for her to stand.

Cameron caught the sight of Anastasia's bloody palm and pulled out his handkerchief, tying it over the injury. "He's gonna pay," he seethed promisingly.

I had no doubt he would. The way he said it and how his eyes narrowed with hate, I bet he was already thinking about the worst ways to torture Ace.

"You—" He closed in on me— "stay with her and both of you get out of here, she knows the way."

"Non posso semplicemente andarmene!" she protested.

"Well, you can't fight either. How did he even-I saw him in the hall, without a single scratch on his face. You better have an explanation for why he’s still living."

"I—" she started but a loud gunshot cut her off. Our heads snapped towards the direction of the voice.

Cameron pulled out a gun and handed it over to Anastasia. "Get out. Look for the chance, we'll try to clear the hallway for you."