In the Eye of the Storm.

Jace.

          I never went to the parties the kids at École catholique Saint-Joseph threw.

          Not like they ever wanted to invite me either, but I feigned indifference. 

          There was no logical reason for my sudden and dramatic change of heart. But subconsciously, I registered the fact I didn't want to spend another Saturday night watching Alex and Cole fuck around on Skype and knowing there was a whole ocean, a whole world between me and my friends. 

            So I invited myself to the party I had heard my peers talking about at Lunch, and my closest friend, Sebastian, narrowed his eyes in surprise. 

               "Tu veux venir?" I nodded, and he laughed. "Finally!" He yelled, and shook my shoulders. 

              Before the end of the Lunch period, it had gotten around that I would actually be coming to a party, and my year group appraised me with suspicious and confused eyes. 

             In Math, sitting in the corner on a single desk like I always did, because Sebastian wasn't in this class, and when he wasn't around, his other friends avoided glancing in my direction. 

             I rested my head in my palm and daydreamed out the window, watching the oak trees sway in the wind, and students run to and from class. I yawned, and scribbled on my notebook. 

            "Are you actually coming on Saturday?" A voice demanded to know, and I flicked my eyes up, to meet the eyes of Lola Cote. 

              I leaned back in my chair, and noticed the teacher had left the classroom for a moment. "Why is this such a big thing?"

             Lola ran her hands over her grey and white school skirt. On her maroon blazer, displayed proudly, were several different pins showing off her accomplishments, like sports and so forth. I snickered, and twirled my pen around my fingers. 

               We had been going to school together for years. She was the one who caught me smoking weed under the bleachers and dobbed me into the principal. 

              The other students in the class, whispered as Lola continued to stand by me and talk. I rolled my eyes and shifted, wishing the ground would fucking open up.

              "I was under the impression you thought you were too good to hang out with us." She brushed her long, straight strands of blonde hair from her shoulders. I leaned forward, resting back on my elbows, keeping my eyes trained on her delicate, pretty face. Her cheeks flushed. "You've never been interested before."

                I smiled at her, and thought, fuck it.

                 I cocked my head to the side, and gave her a crooked smile. "Well, that's my own stupid fault."

 **

               Waking up on the lawn of a strangers house, with no memory of how you got their, is an ineffable experience.

              I rolled out my shoulders, and if I wasn't already laying down, the thumping in my head would've brought me to my knees, I swear. My eyes were still closed, and I ran my open hands over the grass and didn't even fight off the crippling sickness that I was feeling in those moments.

               Maybe last night was over kill.

               I climbed to my knees and dry heaved. I caught sight of the house, I had ended up at and groaned in horror. The place was trashed. Day was breaking over me, the sky becoming a violet shade of blue.