Four

"Do you think he'll... die?" Satine asked Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan was laying on his stomach, and they had stripped him out of his robes so the Jedi Master could remove the metal. The duchess tried to ignore his muscular back while she pressed a rag against his wounds.

"No," Qui-Gon said, tossing another piece of shrapnel to the floor. "He's a tough one." Then the Jedi rubbed his hand over Obi-Wan's back. "I think that's it. Splash some water on his face, and maybe he'll wake up. There's a canteen in my bag"

Satine nodded. She didn't really like being ordered around, but she owed the Jedi. The duchess opened up Qui-Gon's backpack and pulled out the canteen. Then she poured some water into her hand, rubbing it gently on Obi-Wan's face.

Nothing happened.

"Wake up, Padawan," she murmured, patting his cheek.

He didn't move.

"Come on!" Then she slapped his cheek a little harder than intended.

Obi-Wan lurched awake, and the back of his head collided with Satine's face.

"Ow!" Satine yelped and clutched her nose, but the Padawan just moaned, laying back down. "Sorry!" she cringed.

"Well, at least he's awake now," Qui-Gon grumbled.

"What... what happened?" Obi-Wan mumbled, holding his head.

"You passed out after the explosion," the Master explained. "But don't worry, my young Padawan. You're safe now." He squeezed Obi-Wan's shoulder. "You were very brave today."

"Just doing my job," the young man replied with a smile. Satine handed him the canteen, and he gulped down the water gratefully.

"Yes, thank you," Satine whispered.

"What?" both Jedi asked at the same time.

"I said thank you!" Satine bristled. "Is it that hard to believe that I can be nice?"

"Yes," Obi-Wan said.

The duchess glared at him. "If you weren't injured right now, I would hit you."

"What happened to believing in peace?" he teased, and she sighed. Even half dead, he was still infuriating.

"Speaking of peace," Satine started. "we need to discuss how I will get back to my palace and restore peace to Mandalore."

"Duchess," Qui-Gon slowly inhaled and exhaled. "You can't go back to the palace. It has been destroyed by the Old Mandalorians, and half of your people want you dead. There are bounty hunters who are coming for you, and they probably don't care if they capture you dead or alive. Also, it's dangerous on Mandalore right now. There are fights everywhere because your people are at war."

"Do you think I don't know that?" Satine huffed. "And I will stop this war! By negotiating and—"

"Duchess." Qui-Gon rubbed a hand over his face. "The Old Mandalorians are past negotiation. The only way this war will end is when everybody on one side is dead. Or someone surrenders."

What was wrong with this man? Did the Jedi have no faith? "It does not have to be that way!" Satine shouted. Tears started welling up in her eyes, and she told herself they were filled with anger, not fear. "I know I can change their minds! I—"

"Satine," Obi-Wan, rolled over onto his side, revealing a muscular chest and an impressive abdomen. Oh, goodness, the duchess thought. Don't get distracted. "Our best option is to get you off of this planet. You cannot negotiate with your people if you are dead."

She frowned at the ground, rubbing her eyes. Satine knew he was right, and a part of her wanted to leave. Because she was scared out of her mind. Because she had never been in danger like this before. But the other part of her wanted to stay. Wanted to talk some sense into the Old Mandalorians and save her beloved planet.

"Hm," Qui-Gon stroked his beard, his blue eyes narrowed in thought. "We'll need a ship. Ours is too far away. It's most likely that we would all get captured or killed before we could reach the shuttle."

"True," mused Obi-Wan. "But where are we going to find another? It appears that all the ones in here are broken and under repair."

"Not all of them," someone said. "This baby's in perfect shape."