Twenty One

Obi-Wan blinked up at the man who had just spoken.  "Fiancé?!" he finally sputtered.

The big man smiled down at him, although his grin seemed more wolfish than kind.  He was tall, muscular, and encased in dark blue Mandalorian armor.  He had prying grey eyes and pale skin, partially covered by his tidy, blond beard.  The giant looked to be around thirty, only about seven years older than Obi-Wan and Satine, but he seemed so... intimidating.

"Yes!" he chortled, clapping Obi-Wan on the shoulder.  It felt more like the man was trying to shove him into the earth.  "Has Satine not told you two Jedi? I am Rolf Digenbrow, and I've been Satine's betrothed for years now! I only recently proposed." He took a step forward, cupping Satine's face in his big hand, and something revolting rolled through Obi-Wan.  Was that jealousy?

Rolf grinned and waved them inside.  "Come in! Come in! And we can talk business!" The Padawan felt detached from his body as he stumbled over the threshold.  He wasn't even able to take in the stone and steel all around them, nor the stairs leading up to a huge, black throne in front of them.  He could feel Satine trying to catch his eye, but he found that he couldn't move his eyes from his brown boots. How could she not tell him?

"It is so nice to finally meet you two!" Rolf babbled as they walked down the aisle in the middle of the room.  "I've been so worried about my lovely Satine, but she seems to be in good hands.  What are your names?"

Qui-Gon smiled and shook hands with Rolf.  "Qui-Gon Jinn."

Then Digenbrow turned to Obi-Wan.  "And you?" But the Padawan couldn't move.  He just stood there, panicking.  "Hello?" Rolf seemed to settle for patting the young Jedi on the head.  "What, has this one gone mute?" He started laughing at his own joke.

No, Obi-Wan thought.  I will not be laughed at by this man.  "Obi-Wan—" His voice cracked, and he cleared his throat, pounding his chest.  "My name is Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Ah! So he speaks!" Rolf chortled and pretended to wipe a tear from his eye.  "Come! You all must be so hungry after your long journey.  Let us feast!" Digenbrow strutted though a side entrance, and Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Satine followed after him.  There were New Mandalorians all around them, some in light blue armor and others in navy.  Obi-Wan wondered what the duchess thought of all of this, but when he risked a glance her way, he couldn't maintain eye contact for longer than a second.

They finally arrived in a huge dining room with several long, steel tables, and the Padawan had to admit that the food on top of them looked delicious, even though he felt like he was going to vomit.  "Sit down, sit! Please! I do hope the food is to your liking!" Rolf collapsed into the metal chair at the head of the table, and the rest of them gathered around him.

"This is a very nice base you have," Qui-Gon remarked before popping some fruit into his mouth.

"Ah, yes, thank you!" Digenbrow beamed.  "Since I became the general after Mudkani—may he rest in peace—I have modified our base to the best of my abilities.  And although it was expensive, it has been worth it! The war has actually been tipping in our favor, and that is why we have called you here." He took a huge bite out of a chicken wing.

"I see," Qui-Gon murmured.  "And why weren't we called to Mandalore sooner? I'm simply curious."

Rolf attacked his mouth with a napkin and gulped down some wine before answering.  "Well, General Mudkani did not want to get you involved, and he thought it was best that the duchess stay far away from Mandalore.  But I believe that you two Jedi can help us win this civil war! Also, I like to keep my possessions close to me." He winked at Satine, and she glared at her untouched food.  Did she actually love Rolf? Did Rolf love her? Obi-Wan couldn't tell what was going on here.