Chapter 1

As she walked into the district, her memories came rushing back to her.
"Can I help you?" Platt asked.
"Sargent Platt?" She asked.
"Who's asking?"
"Voight, Lori Voight,"
"Oh my, Lori? I haven't seen you in what? Twenty years?"
"Just about, I moved to Virginia."
"Well what can I help you with?"
"Can you buzz me up to see my dad?"
"Of course, I'll walk you up," She said as she buzzed her up.
"Voight, you have a visitor," Platt said.
"Who- Lori?" He said surprised.
"It's me," She said as she made herself seen. The next thing she knew she was being engulfed in a hug. "Good to see you too, but I can't really breathe."
"Oh, sorry. When did you get into town? Is everything okay?"
"Earlier today. And we will get to that. Are you going to introduce me to your team?"
"Right, this is Antonio Dawson, Adam Ruzek, Kim Burgess, Kevin Atwater, and Hailey Upton. You already know Jay. This is my daughter, Lori." She was greeted will hellos and heys.
"Let's talk in your office," She said.
"Ok," He said walking into his office," So what's up?"
"I heard about a bad case you had. Figured I would check in you know? Make sure you were alive," She said with a forced laugh.
"You came all this way to 'check in' on me because of a case you heard about in Virginia?" He asked suspiciously.
"I can't come check in on my pops? I mean it must be bad if I heard about it in Virginia so you know had to check in. Figured if it was that bad intelligence would probably be in on it," she said starting to ramble.
"Well it would probably help if you told me which case you were talking about," he replied in an almost irritated voice.
"Oh yeah it probably would," she chuckled," the case with multiple abductions and murders. You know where they are taking homeless people and addicts, and then they just mysteriously end up jumping off a roof like weeks later."
"Yeah I kinda figured that was the one," he said exasperated, "We got it about two weeks ago but can't find a suspect or relation between the victims other than they are all junkies or ex junkies," he stopped talking when he realized that Lori grimaced.
"Damn, you think it will go federal?" She asked quickly fixing her face.
"I hope not. I hate when feds come in acting all high and mighty like they know so much more. Like we weren't the ones to get most of it. Like we didn't put in most of the work."
"Yeah I can see how that would be annoying," she said in a tone that he couldn't quite place- but was definitely off.
"So is 'checking in' the only reason you are here?"
"Umm, well actually" Saved by the bell she thought as she was cut off by her phone ringing. "Sorry, I have to take this. I'll be right back," she said as she went to leave.
"No worries, you stay here I'll go out there," he said as he got up from his desk.

She sat down at his desk before answering, "Well hello there gorgeous. To what do I owe the pleasure?"
"Wellllll Hotch told me to call and tell you that they needed you back at the hotel," Penelope said.
"Oh and he couldn't have told me that?" She asked irritated.
"They were busy getting settled in and I guess they thought you wouldn't bite my head off if it didn't go well," She said giggling on the other end.
"Well now I would never bite the head off of my favorite technological genius," She said smiling.
"Now Special Agent Voight, flattery will get you everywhere," the 'technological genius' said flirtatiously
"Alright Pen, give me ten minutes and I will leave," getting up from the desk.
"Okie dokie, I will relay the message."
"Wait! How did the convo with your dad go? How did he take it?"
"You're a little early for that, love," she said with another forced laugh.
"Oh. Oopsies."
"You're good. Honestly I don't know if I am even going to tell him. I may just wait until tomorrow and let Hotch break the news," she laughed.
"It's your call, babe. Buttttt do you think that's the best thing to do?"
"No. Absolutely not. But it would be funny, ya know. To see just how red his face would get," she said almost cackling.
"You have a warped sense of humor, Voight. You know that?"
"I do believe I've been told a time or two. I will talk to you later, Penelope."
"Bye-bye," Penelope said before hanging up.