Chapter Seven - Books and Bravery

With the end of September comes the autumn, the gentle cold breeze, the changing of colours and the migration of monarch butterflies. It also brings the beginning of exhausting studies, because our first exams are booked to November 5th. Rowan, being the big nerdy perfectionist that she is, already made study lists, wrote a bunch of notes, grabbed all the books we're going to need – and a couple extra – and, of course, started to incessantly annoy me about how much we need to study.

We have one month and eight subjects to study for. However, as the anticipated Ravenclaws that we are, we've been studying a little bit every single day. Though Rowan thinks there's always room for improvement, I don't think there's need for us to get so overwhelmed. I know the answer to every question that she asks, all my assignments and I feel prepared for every single test.

With the exception, perhaps, of Potions.

I don't truly think that Merula will try to sabotage me during the exams, mainly because I don't think she'd commit the same mistake twice. It would only make me even more aware that she lacks creativity. What I'm truly dreading is Professor Snape. Though I told myself not to feel intimidated by him, I can't help but feel a piercing sensation every time our eyes cross in class. Also, though he wasn't the one who sent the note that led me to the Devil's Snare, it scares me that there are creatures like that living in the dungeons, so close to his classroom.

Rowan keeps telling me to ignore these feelings, but something inside of me simply can't do it. I still want to do my best to show him that I'm smart, capable and a good student. It bothers me that I want to impress him so badly and it bothers me even more that I don't know the reason behind it.

Merula's been quiet since she last tried to kill me, but I must admit that I've been trying hard to avoid her. I've been studying and performing great in class and working hard to recover the points I lost because of her. Ravenclaw is still behind Slytherin, but only by five points. Though can feel her stares all over me in every class we have together, I just ignore her. To me, she's as insignificant as a dead worm.

As October brings a beautiful sunny Friday, I sit with Rowan in the Courtyard after our Care of Magical Creatures lesson, happily enjoying the morning next to her. The day is cold, but nothing that a scarf, a beanie and a pair of gloves didn't solve. We sit by the fountain, talking while watching the clouds move lazily in the sky.

"Did you have the chance to talk to that Copper boy?" she asks me, grabbing a cookie from her pocket.

"Where did you get this?" I ask.

"I hid it in my pocket during breakfast," she says, blushing. "I'm always super hungry after Kettleburn's lessons."

I snicker. "No, I didn't have the chance to properly know Ben. Why?"

"People are talking," she tells me, nibbling her chocolate cookie. "They say that he's the most coward boy in our year. I've heard that he's even afraid of his own shadow."

"I'm sure it's all gibberish," I say. "Ben is really intelligent. Have you seen him in Charms? He's really good at it."

"Thanks, Athena," the suddenness of his voice right next to me makes me almost fall into the fountain.

"Ben!" I gasp, straightening my back. "You were listening to our conversation?"

"Sorry," he says, flushing. "I couldn't help it. Thanks for defending me, though."

"I only said the bare truth, Ben," I say.

I smile at him and he sits next to me by the fountain. His red and gold scarf wrapped around his neck makes his face looks even rounder. Rowan flashes him an embarrassed smile.