Chapter 3

Percy P.O.V.

I lie down on my bed in the Poseidon cabin, thinking about the duel ahead. I have to admit, when Jason challenged me to a duel, it awakened something inside me. Even since Kansas, both of us have undeniably wondered "who would have won?" This question plagued us until we both let it go. But now? I'm wondering again.

Speaking of wondering, I wonder if Jason will say yes or no to powers? Knowing him, hell say yes. I do think my powers are just a bit stronger than his. But, there is one power that will guarantee my winning... that I won't use.

But, if I did it, I would win in a second. It would be so easy. But I won't.

"Percy?" Annabeth shows up next to me. Studying my face, she says, "I know what you're thinking. Please don't, Percy."

"I wasn't even going to." I smile up at her.

"But you were thinking about it." She presses.

"Yeah, I was." I sigh. "But I won't, Annabeth. What I never told you? When we were there, and I was controlling Misery, it kind of- it kind of felt good. But I don't like that feeling. It felt like I could do anything, but in an evil way. But, it also just felt right." I say miserably.

"Percy." Annabeth says seriously. "Listen to me. It felt good because you weren't in control. Of your powers, your emotions. Just- don't do it again, and you don't have to worry about becoming uncontrollable and whatnot."

I nod. "I won't do it, Annabeth. But I've been thinking. What if the benefits outweigh the risks? Fighting giants and Titans and gods would be so easy. We could have won the war so much faster."

She touched my arm lightly. "Percy, remember what I told you there?"

I nod. "Some things aren't meant to be controlled."

"Well, that's all there is to it. Percy, you are powerful. But harnessing such power is dangerous. It's wrong, controlling that. Just swear to me you'll never do it again."

"On the Styx?" I ask.

"No." Annabeth pauses. "To me."

In a way, swearing to her would carry more weight than swearing on the Styx. At least to me it would.

"Okay, Annabeth. I swear I won't control that again. I swear to you."

She nods. "Percy? One more thing. Remember, you are a good person. Loyal, kind, brave. Not evil. Not even close."

I smile. "Thanks, Annabeth. Lest sleep now."

She gets into bed next to me and falls asleep quickly. And I know I made the right choice, swearing to her. It feels good, like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

And slowly, I drift into Morpheus's realm.

Thanks for reading!

7-23-20