chapter 8: flowers equals funerals

16th June, 2021

chapter 8: flowers equals funerals

• • •

There are times in our life when we feel like everything that we know to be the truth catches fire as easily as lies do. In that moment, it feels like shock has pushed your soul out of your body. The world stopped spinning that moment for me, and as a result, I felt the attack of a strong headache making its way into my mind. This was my state when I stared at the screen in utter confusion.

Search Keyword: Shafaq Sultan (1 match found)
Location: 📍 Anaargis, 200 miles from Bangalore.

My vision blurred, I couldn't focus, a cloud of thick, heavy and pure terror now pushed the blood in my veins. It was pounding in my ears as I read the details on the screen again and again and again. My mind shot me question after question.

Where was Shafaq right now? Why does this website say he is in Anaargis? What's his connection with my home town? Did he change his phone number?

If this website was telling me the truth, was the guy who just spoke to Ammi really Shafaq?

How could she get confused? I wondered; everyone knew Shafaq didn't have a twin brother.

"What on earth does this mean?" I whispered shakily, but Falak and Amirah were just as dumbfounded as me.

"Okay, Zahra, call him." Amirah said suddenly. "There's only one way to find out."

"What if he gets mad that we spied on him?" Falak interjected worriedly.

"It's not as important as knowing where he is at the moment, is it?" I told her, agreeing with Amirah. "I really hope this website is wrong... even though I know it's official." I said, taking a deep breath and picking up my phone.

"Wait, first let's confirm this with your Ammi." Falak placed a hand on my arm, stopping me.

"You're right." I nodded. "I'll go get her." I volunteered, afraid that if I sat around in the same room as that laptop - my mind would cook up another scary theory that would make me lose sleep.

In a few minutes, I had untangled Ammi from the kitchen and brought her to my room. She was confused and a little angry but I didn't mind as long as we figured out what had actually happened.

"Girls, what is this?" She started. "Humrah needs another coat of lemon-sugar syrup on her henna, let me go and make it for her. Tomorrow is her engagement!"

"Ammi - listen, you said you just talked to Shafaq, right?" I asked, and she turned to me, knitting her eyebrows.

"Of course that's what I said, beta." She spoke. "Why?"