Prologue: Asami's Story

Book One:

Water

Prologue:

Asami's Story

My job as the Protector started when my little brother, Aang, was born. Now nobody knew he was the Avatar at that time! But the day I held my baby brother for the first time, I promised to him and myself, that I would protect him from all the dangers in the world.

The whole Southern Air Temple nicknamed me, "the Protector", when Aang started walking. When Aang started to walk, I was always behind him, catching him when he tripped or stopping him from stepping on thorns. But when he started to airbend at a younger age than usual, he had my hands full! Because he went from almost running into trees to almost sneezing himself of the temple!

But I was 6 when I found out I was the Avatar's Protector...

Flashback...

"Asami, come here please. We need to talk to you." One of the Monks said to me before walking into the room where all the other monks sat. I blinked a few times confuse, before I started following the monk, worried. Oh man! What did Aang or I do this time? I thought to myself as I stepped into the room and sat down on the pillow, in front of the monks.

Noticing my worried face, Monk Gyatso, the Monk who's both my and Aang's guardian, calmly told me I wasn't in trouble. "Don't worry Asami, you are not in trouble. And neither is Aang." I sighed softly in relief, but I quickly sat up straight when I remembered I was sitting in front of the monks. Monk Gyatso laughed silently at me, but he soon looked at me with a serious and sad expression.

"Asami, do you know about the Avatar?" The Senior Monk asked me, as he and the other monks, except Gyatso, stared at me expressionless. I frowned slightly at the question before slowly nodding and answering, "Yeah... The Avatar is a person who can bend all four elements." The monks nodded, silently telling me I was right, before the Senior Monk spoke again.

"We have recently found out who is the next Avatar... your brother, Aang." I gasped in shock at the new found information. Aang's the Avatar?!? I thought to myself, not able to believe that my baby brother is the Avatar. I shook my head slightly before laying my hand against my forehead. I thought for a long moment before looking back up at the Monks.

"Are you sure?" I asked the monks, who all just nodded instead voicing the answer. I sighed softly through my nose as I looked down with wide, shocked eyes. "I can't believe it, my brother's the Avatar..." I said to myself in disbelieve. "That's not all Asami." I looked up as the Senior Monk started talking again.

"The Avatar's safety is the at most importance. Avatar Aang will need a protector until he's grown up and mastered all elements. That protector is you, Asami." I gasped again, not able to believe the even bigger news. I looked down to my lap, trying to figure out what to say, but before I could continue, the Dour Monk sitting at the right hand side of the Senior Monk started talking.

"Asami, we need you to be the Avatar's Protector. It is a very important job, and we need to know now if you are up to it. If you accept, your training begins immediately and you will be able to protect Avatar Aang from everything by the time he turns 16. Asami... Do you accept to be the Avatar's Protector?"

I was speechless and stared at the monks with wide eyes, while they stared with expressionless faces. I looked for a moment in thought before slowly looking up with a small smile. "I'll be honored to be both my brother's and Avatar's Protector." I answered proudly, sitting up straight.

Monk Gyatso smiled at me, but for some reason, I saw sadness in his eyes. I frowned to myself when I saw his sad eyes, and started wondering what he knew what I didn't. Before I could get in even deeper in thought, the Senior Monk caught my attention as he started to talk.