"The beginning of the end" Chapter I

It was the day of Mia's birthday and John had finally found the one thing that she had been wanting for a long time. It was the least he could do. She was his wife, after all and close to giving birth to their first child. John had found his present after a lot of searching in a secondhand store down the street. The cashier had shifted uncomfortably as she'd wrapped it up for him but John didn't care as long as it made his wife happy.

John made sure all the buttons of his shirt were buttoned before he went into the baby room to wait for Mia who was taking care of the dishes. He hid her present under the baby crib while waiting and after about five minutes, the sound of her footsteps began to near, and he prepared to sing. "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Mia. Happy birthday to you." The self consciousness of his untrained and amateurish voice made him blush slightly in embarrassment, but he still kept going until the song was finished.

"My God John! I thought you had forgotten. You may not be the best singer in the world but you really are the best husband." She leaned in closer to him and said, smiling, "and will be the best dad." John smiled back.

"Thank you. That's not all though. I have a present for you too."
He bent down and pulled out the brown paper box from under the crib and placed it on top of it.
"Silly! You really didn't have to, John. We just moved in to a new house. How can you afford this?"
"Don't worry. It's not that big. Just open it."

He smiled as though he had a deep secret to tell. Mia hesitated at his suspicious looking face before she tenderly ripped off the paper piece by piece until only the box was left to open. She ran her fingers over the white and shiny cover before she removed it and a porcelain doll with light brown hair and blue eyes appeared. A white dress hung to its ankles with a red ribbon tied around the waist.
"Oh my god, John," she whispered. "Annabelle. She's so beautiful. There's only one of these left." Mia placed her hands under the doll's arms and lifted it up like how a priest would bless a child.
"I know. I wanted you to have something you'd love dearly. I also passed my test, which means that I'm done with my education and ready to start working."
"I'm so proud of you." She was still whispering, as if she were afraid that someone would hear them. "But I've been looking everywhere. How did you find it?" She asked, still holding the doll.
"Oh, just an old second hand store a few blocks away." John scratched the back of his head, watching her intently.
"I don't even know where to put her," Mia said..
"Just put her in the rocking chair." She smiled at John and walked over to the rocking chair and did as he said. Still facing the doll, she spoke again,
"and John,"
"What?"
"I have a little surprise for you too."
"What is it?"

Mia searched in the pockets of her dress and found an envelope which she handed to him. It was an ultrasound picture. "Is it ours?"
"It's our daughter." A warming feeling ran through his body. John leaned down and placed his hands on her growing stomach.
"She can play with Annabelle when she grows up," he said, running his fingers over her swollen belly.
"Yes, she can. But for now she can focus on coming out."
"True."

His mind wandered away with thoughts of his new family before he remembered something. "Wait! I bought a cake."
"What really?" John had bought a small cake since he knew she wasn't really hungry anymore and whipped cream made her sick. It was decorated with marzipan roses, following the lining of the cake and a text made out of red glaze in the middle. It said "Happy Birthday Mia," in cursive. "It looks delicious."
"Make a wish!" Mia closed her eyes and wished before blowing out the three candles that surrounded her name.
"What did you wish for?"
"If I tell you, it won't come true." She kissed his forehead and began to cut the cake. When they were done eating, the sky had darkened and day turned into night. Mia and John went to sleep at peace from the wholesome evening.