"The Warrens" Chapter VIII

Home in the Warrens living room, Mia and John were propped together on a small couch, facing the chair Lorraine was sitting in. Ed Warren, who is Lorraine's husband, was standing behind her with his hands, soft on her bony shoulders. Two sad cups of tea stood cold on the table between them. The living room was a bit dark with crucifixes, hanging proudly on the walls between framed photos of family and friends. Ed was the first to speak.

-Me and Lorraine work as demonologists. It's more of a lifestyle than a job, actually.

-We work as demonologists, that's not really a job, it's a lifestyle. Me and Lorraine have gone through lots of horrible things that none of you could ever imagine unless you see it with your own eyes. We've been handling a lot of cases, involving demons, ghosts, possessions, hauntings and exorcism.

-Isn't exorcism illegal?

John asked, curiously. Just to be sure.

-Not unless you get an approval from the church. It's rare but it could happen. I've never done it myself. It takes years of training and just attending one could haunt you for the rest of your life. I've seen it myself.

Ed paused, like he was waiting for it all to sink in. A dramatic pause.

-Those who have practiced almost their whole lives can fail. It can go terribly wrong.

Mia held harder onto John's arm, her knuckles whitening.

-So is the doll possessed by a demon?

John asked, frantically.

-Demons don't possess things, John. They possess people. It uses the doll to get closer to its victim.

Leah is the victim, Mia thought, her head aching from the stress.

-And it can move around?

John and Ed were the only ones talking. Lorraine was starring at something far beyond, her eyes empty and her skin, pale.

-It never moves. It's just and illusion to make you scared and weak. It drains your energy to get stronger.

-So what can we do?

Mia finally said. Lorraine stared straight into Mia's eyes, her brown irises were full of feelings so unfamiliar that she didn't know if it was good or bad. Then she spoke, her voice deep and serious.

-There's only one way.

Ed cocked his head over hers, blocking the view of whatever she had been looking at. He whispered to her. His voice, filled with worry and fear. The words came too rapidly for any one to understand except Ed and Lorraine themselves.

-We have to perform an exorcism.

Ed finally said. His voice was like a whisper. He was about to leave the room when Mia stopped him.

-Wait! Where's our daughter.

Lorraine answered.

-It isn't strong enough to take her all the way. She's between life and death. Ed is going to ask for an approval from the church. They need proof, so now we just have to wait first.

John pulled Mia closer to him, her blonde locks of hair, brushing against his chin.

-Why is this exorcism such a big deal anyway.

John whispered.

-It's dangerous for anyone near, not only the victim.

Lorraine said, then continued.

-We could all end up dead.