"She moved" Chapter II

Mia woke up in the middle of the night, her mind spinning out of confusion. She reckoned a creecking noise from the baby-room. John was still fast asleep and Mia didn't want to wake him, so she went into the room alone to look for the cause. It was Annabelle. She was sitting in the rocking chair where Mia had placed her, but with her arms and legs crossed. The rocking chair was rocking slowly.

A bit unsettled, Mia stopped the chair carefully and a deep silence lay over the room. She headed back to bed but couldn't get back to sleep. All that she could think about was the doll and how it had had its arms and legs crossed and how the rocking chair had been swinging all by itself. Maybe John had recently been there, She thought. Or maybe there was a draft
from a window that hadn't been fully closed.

The next morning, John had left early to pay some bills at the insurance company while Mia stayed at home. She hadn't told him about what happened last night. It probably wasn't anything special anyway, she thought, and she didn't want to upset him in vain, now that everything was going so well for them.

Mia was eating breakfast, her gaze calmly darting between the daily news magazine and her cup of coffee. She considered sewing some baby clothes for the coming baby but didn't know how to. When finished, Mia went into the babyroom to clean the crib just to make the time pass. The sweet and soft start of the day abruptly vanished as the door suddenly stopped midways when she opened it. It had knocked into something solid and hollow.

There must be something behind the door. Mia made sure to open it carefully. Is that Annabelle? She thought and it was. She was laying on the floor behind the door. Something must have made her fall, but how could she fall almost three feet from the rocking chair and end up at the door?