Chapter 1

>>𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷.𝙸𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚍𝚞𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜<<

I opened my eyes as the breeze hit my face

I opened my eyes as the breeze hit my face. It felt nice, the temperature—as always— was just perfect.

Unfortunately my time was over, this was more than clear as I looked up to the sky. The cooling breeze moved the dark grey clouds in my direction, and I knew I had barely a few minutes to get home.

As I got home—drenched—I headed straight to the kitchen. There I found my favorite two people in the world, my grandparents. My grandma placed a cup of hot chocolate in front of me knowing very well I was freezing.

"Got caught up in the rain again, mija?" My grandma asked, already knowing the answer.

"Si Tita" I answered, my roots were Mexican, and my grandparents made sure I knew how to speak both languages. I found it very pointless, the only people I talked to were them, but I was grateful because it's where I came from. It was part of me, and I wasn't going to be ashamed of that.

"Please be careful next time. Okay?" She gave me a soft loving smile.

"Yes I will, don't worry abuelita" I knew most of the time she was worried about me. According to her—and the pictures she had shown me countless times— I looked exactly like my mother. And was all she had left of her. My mother was a beautiful woman, which is why I could not comprehend how they could compare me to her.

My mother- she had long dark brown hair with beautiful natural highlights—which made it look amazing every time it hit the sun— and an amazing pair of big brown eyes. Her body had all the curves in the right places it wasn't much, just enough—where I was more... developed—. It was true I looked exactly like her, but when I looked in the mirror, I saw the lack of something. I didn't know what it was but it was there.

My mother had passed away in a car accident, I was barely 9 months old when it happened. They had been on their way to pick me up. I had been in my grandparents house— which is up in the mountains— and they had been at a party. It was late at night and raining, according to my grandpa they lost control and flew off the road.

My grandparents on my dads side and well- my whole family blamed me, while the wonderful people I live with now blamed themselves. To me it was clear it was nobody's fault— well that's what I think now, that I can actually comprehend it— but because my whole family blamed me, they wanted nothing to do with me, so they left me out of the equation.

Since then I have been raised and lived with the most wonderful people in the world, my grandparents—Maria and Ben— I can not express how much I love them, they never kept me in the dark about anything, whatever answers I wanted they gave me. I was taught to tell the truth, which is why I believe we have such a strong bond.

I bid my goodbye and gave them a kiss on their cheek. I took off to my bedroom quietly closing the door. The sound of the rain falling upon my roof was calming—just like the smell— I took my book and began reading it for the hundredth time. Because I lived so far from the city— in the mountains— I was homeschooled and had to accept the fact that I could only read one book each two months.