Encountering the Queen

Still glaring at me, Aramina continues, “We conducted a search of all bodies found and we decided our young runaways are none other than the alchemists’ daughter Cëlisse and the Princess Lana. I followed their tracks into the Southern Forest and then north into the treacherous Goldenwood. I suspect however, that they are now trapped deep in the trance of Marlena’s froest kingdom of Cellestar as I found no more tracks heading further north.

                Now my mother begins to speak, “Aramina, do not try to humour us with your foolish ideas. You know the Princess would always be loyal to her kingdom in a time of desperate need, not run away with a friend. Unless you have seen her, I am not a believer.”

                “Do not underestimate Lana, Zarya. She is old enough to make up her own mind and free to make her own choices.”

                “I also know what lies beyond Cellestar. The Badlands are no place for two young children, girls especially.”

                “That they are not, but I have no doubt that the tracks were not pointing to the Badlands, but towards our own kingdom of Torah. She has family here in Taea, our youngest Firemind.”

                I feel the sudden urge to speak, to learn of Edilya’s demise and the whereabouts of the girls, “And what of the Queen and King? Were their bodies lying among the dead?”

                Aramina laughs, her voice louder than usual, sounding as high pitched and lost as Captain Steffan when he drinks a little too much ale. Her laugh though, however strange it is, gives me hope, hope that maybe one day Torah may become the place it used to be. The morning sunlight in my window, singing and dancing with my friends and visiting other kingdoms; all things I knew too well but that vanished into the darkness we have become. The way she laughs, I am almost certain of her involvement in the deaths of so many.

                “I thought you were not interested in our plans, Zianna. Do you not still believe what I am leading is some sort of crime against Norvia, slaughtering at will, or have you come to your senses at last?”

                “No, I have not come to my senses, not yet at least, but I just want to know what it is that happened and what senseless murder will do to help you break free.” I say, much louder than expected.

                “Silence!” Aramina screams at the council. “It seems as if our young Princess would like you all to hear what she has to say about our involvement at Edilya.”

                The room suddenly falls silent as Aramina stands up, her long cloak flows around her bare, pale feet, her red eyes shine like a stained glass window. The council all stares at her, some glaring, some with no expression at all, but one young boy smiles even a little. It takes me by surprise, to see so many smiles and hints of laughter in one day when we live in a city where you would think laughter is a crime. That one child brings back so many memories I thought I had lost of when I was young. All the laughs I would exchange, the times where all it took was one smile to know everything was alright. Maybe this could be the smile that could make everything alright.

                Folding her hands together, Aramina begins yet another report on the Edilyan disaster, “Please understand when I say I not have much knowledge on this matter, specifically information concerning King Phazar. When we came down from the sky, the city panicked and tried to hide in the Inner Circle of the Citadel of Sunlight, but we advanced on our beasts much faster than they could run, most of the damage was sone before they could put up any kind of defence against our assault. Those who lived nearest to the Citadel on the upper levels, assembled weak ranks of archers and began rapidly shooting at us. Most shots fired either missed or were not fatal. The City of Sunlight had known peace for too long and it seemed as a result its inhabitants had forgotten how to defend.”

                “So were the King and Queen killed before they reached the Citadel?” I ask very impatiently.

                “As I said earlier Zianna, I have next to no knowledge if the King’s survival or death, but Queen however, creates a very interesting tale. As I was moving towards the Citadel, I was stopped by Arianna herself, blade drawn and wielding a bright tongue of flame in the other hand. She told me I would never get away with what I was doing, breathing heavily as I decided on my next move. I raise my blade, then I looked her in the eye and lowered my weapon, dropping it on the blood-soaked stone and fell to my knees before her.”

                I cannot believe the words I just heard. Aramina, leader of the merciless Fireminds lowered a weapon because of getting told that she could not get away with her actions and her plan. I mean our young ranks have more courage than her display of cowardice. Instead of Arianna’s statement, could it have been regret, regret for her brutal choices of the past, or am I just seeing the hope I so desperately want to come true?