=Drew=

"Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day."

-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-

ARIANNA COX

PREVIOUSLY ON, THE REASON I LOVE THE RAIN...

He moved after he gave me my undergarments. "I'll leave you to finish up." He smirked and left the room. The way he looked at me made me feel like a young kid under his gaze, his voice, the heat of his breath against my face, and the metal of his lip ring that brushed against my ear as he spoke sent shivers down my spine. This was crazy but I think I liked it. If it was up to me, he'd never stop when he did.

When I parked, still sat in the driver's seat, my heart thumped turbulently against my rib cage as I tried to steady my erratic heart. For as long as I can remember, I've always had a perennial fear of not being able to thwart the idea of being spurned. Not being in control has always been detrimental to my mind's health.

A freshman, straight into the world of adulthood, no longer a kid. This was going to be the new beginning I needed. I swallowed hard hoping today would go well. I stepped out of the car, my bag slung over a shoulder, and my crumpled schedule in my sweaty hands, a little flimsy from my sweat.

Those who were staying on campus were supposed to assemble in the auditorium before going to register which determines which dorm you get placed in. I had already registered online and at the last minute, my English Literature professor had all the students come in early for the first class. I glanced at my schedule and my way to Building B. The sun was beating harshly, on the top of my head, my skin was on fire as the sweat on my forehead rolled down in beads trying to keep me cool.

I got there and made my way to the class, quickly tucking the droopy looking piece of paper into my bag. I took a deep breath and opened the door. The door creaked open loudly. I wasn't expecting a lot of people to be here already because I was five minutes early. That was the complete opposite of what I got. There were over ten people already seated in the classroom, they had scattered around randomly and the speaking stopped when I entered. Everyone's eyes strained on me.

I didn't know what to say, everyone, taking the class except me, got the memo that the class would start earlier. Then like the awkward human being I was, I opened my mouth to acknowledge them, "Hello." And hurriedly found a seat and sat down beside a guy sitting at the far end of the room.

The lecturer, a silver-haired guy, maybe in his late twenties turned his attention to something on the desk and then focused on me through his rounded spectacles. "Nice of you to grace us, Ms. Cox. Did you have trouble finding this class?"

"Not at all, my schedule showed that the class started at eleven and it's now 10:57 am." I began, trying to explain while reaching for the time table that I had printed out.

"Did you not read the entire email? At the end of it, it clearly says the first class with begin at 10:30 a.m. due to some unforeseen circumstances of having a new lecturer?" Suddenly, my mouth dried up and my palms began to spill over in its tears. He was right. I hadn't read all of the emails. Everyone was looking at me with their judgmental eyes.

"Mr. Locke with all due respect, with something such as important as the new set time, it should have been included in the first paragraph of the 'all-you-need-to-know' section. If it was as important as you are making it seem, it shouldn't have been included at the end with a note briefly or whatever. Would you spend twenty minutes reading an email that's just there to show you when you have what classes?"

Mr. Locke had his arms folded over his chest and I started to fear for myself but also the guy who spoke up so bravely. When I first came in, I hadn't given him much recognition but now, I had no choice but to take him in. He was a tall, light-skinned guy with curly short hair. He was wearing a hoodie and jeans which I found weird because it was already so hot outside. His eyes were squinted in slits but I could make out specks of green. He had his legs crossed; his right leg resting at the top of his left knee as his left hand held it into place. He had his jaws clenched, it was evident he was waiting for Mr. Locke's reply.

"By the looks of it, everyone else read the email thoroughly, why didn't she?" The professor had that look like he had won and I thought he did too.

"That's because everyone else here is a nerd. No offense guys." He turned around for a moment to look at some of the members of the class as he explained.

"But you read it, so I guess that makes you a nerd too Mr. LaPierre."

"Sort of but that's where you're mistaken. McCarthy was the one who informed me of the time swap. He'll read anything he can get his hands on."

I held my breath in anticipation, "Next time don't be late." I nodded and he went on talking about how for the first semester we were gonna work on the self: our identity as an individual and based on our primary influences. When Locke wasn't paying any attention to me, I took the chance to thank the well-spoken gentleman beside me. "Hey, thanks for that."

He looked at me, a small smile etched on his face, showcasing the dimples that were hidden because of his grim expression before, "No problem, I've been waiting to get back at him since orientation."

"Then you're welcome, and remind me to never argue with you." I smiled back. He nodded," I'm Andrew LaPierre."

I replied quietly, "Arianna Cox. Nice to meet you, Drew. "

"Drew?" He questioned, looking me straight in the face. I took in his appearance some more. His lips were a lighter pink, they looked soft and kissable and I had to keep myself from staring.

"Yeah, got a problem?" The eye contact I received made my heart skip a beat and sweaty palms tickle with pending sweat.

"That one's new."

I grinned at him, "Get used to it, that's what I'll be calling you from now on."

He turned away to look at Mr. Locke and I could hear the faint smirk in his voice. "I don't mind, I like it."

To Be Continued...