0. Death of Despair

The video spread quicker than the chill that followed. Junko Enoshima has recorded herself up on a cliff top. Below her was the sea, spinning and turning rapidly. She had shouted out for the world to hear her, even when the sea was roaring in rage, her voice was heard clearly and loudly.

Glorious despair is awaiting for the world again! But this time I'll send them toppling to the floor! Human extinction will be a reality!

Our future is crumbling, tearing apart! No one will stop me! Not now that I have this world's hope at my mercy.

All that is left will be despair!

Despair as black as the future's hope!

Then she had simply walked off of the cliff, plummeting towards the sharp rocks and ocean waves below. And she was gone.

Junko Enoshima was dead.

At first the remaining slivers of humanity were excited, the war's were over, the mastermind was dead at last!

But that didn't sustain for much longer. Junko had shouted out to them warnings of something more terrible approaching. The war wasn't over, the Monokuma's continued to attack survivors in the streets. Humanity was still in fear.

And without Junko Enoshima to kill, who else was there? Was somebody else involved in Junko's scheme? No one had heard of another person helping her. It was always just Junko. The people that had helped her along the way were unimportant to her. Little specks of dust to be flicked off later.

I'm the end, the video caused more chaos. Groups of people fought against each other in hopes of killing the one behind all of this. Monokumas were used as a defense rather than weapons. Suicide just became more and more apparent, not wanting to be snuffed off by Monokumas or mini wars.

Little did anyone know, they were nowhere near anybody who could end this.

But that's a topic for another time. For now there are other matters to attend to.

Makoto Naegi's 'condition' was not improving in the slightest. In fact, it might have worsened after the events of Junko's death. He became a despair enthusiast, trying to trick people into helping him lead on Junko's legacy.

The group trying to help Makoto, (V3 they called themselves) were almost at a loss for what to do. When they realized that it was probably time to mention Makoto's existence to his other friends.

Everyone in V3 knew about Makoto. Only 5 people hadn't known what his fate had become. When they asked, V3 simply said that they weren't certain.

This was partially the truth. They didn't have any idea what had gotten Makoto to fall into despair so quickly, or what he had done since their capture of him.

Now was the time to let his old friends know what had happened.

Maki Harukawa decided to leave the task to Kyoko Kirigiri, suggesting she do it because she knew her friends better than anyone else at V3. Kyoko had accepted, though she was hesitant at first. Feelings weren't her strong suit.

Now she was sitting in a room with all five of them. Asahina sat furthest to the left on the floor, slightly confused as to what they were doing. Komaru sat next to her, resting her metal arm on the floor.

Byakuya was sitting on the couch, looking like he owned the place. He seemed a bit annoyed because he had been interrupted when he was reading. Toko got as close to him as she dared. She was more uncertain around him these days. Something had felt off.

Mitarai was sitting on a chair nervously staring at the floor. He wasn't good at calming himself down enough to look up at anyone.

Kyoko cleared her throat softly even though she had everyone's attention.

"This is going to be hard to hear. I wish we could have told you sooner so it would be less of a shock, however, we had to keep it hidden so that you could all manage yourselves without worrying." Kyoko paused for a second.

Then she did what she always did. State the facts.

"Makoto Naegi is being kept in a cell at V3 headquarters. He is a remnant of despair. Your deaths seemed to have pushed him to it. I mistakenly brought him to the room where Junko played a video that caused him to fall into despair."

The reaction was instinctive. Toko glared at Kyoko in rage, Byakuya pushed his glasses up his face and his expression stiffened, Komaru became pale, Asahina gasped and Mitarai covered his head with his hands.

"We're trying to cure him, He's not getting any better." Kyoko closed her eyes, "We think that if he sees you guys, he will have a better chance at recovery."

There was silence. Long silence. It tore at them with the realization. Even Kyoko was surprised to hear herself.

Mitarai broke the silence with a simple sob. He was shaking and he whispered to himself.

"Oh god... it's all my fault... Makoto... he's ... it's all my fault..."

Nobody had any words of comfort for him. They were all silent. Kyoko needed their answers though.

"Will you help him?" She asked as she looked over them, "you are the last people who can help him."

Asahina slowly nodded, "Yeah...Yeah I'll do it. For Makoto."

Byakuya was still stiff but he closed his eyes and sighed, "I suppose I can try bringing him back to reality."

Toko nodded, quickly and silently agreeing to Byakuya's words.

Komaru made a determined face and clenched her fist. Kyoko took this as a yes.

All that was left was Mitarai, however Kyoko was uncertain of how much help he could be. Out of everyone, Mitarai was the least known. But Kyoko still wanted his answer.

"Mitarai, I need you to answer me with a simple yes or no. Will you help us bring Naegi back from despair?"

Mitarai continued to shake. His muttering ceased slightly as he thought.

"Y-yes...I'll d-do anything to r-right what I've done..."

"Then it's settled," Kyoko said to them all, "Let's go give Naegi a visit."