5. Do You Not Understand The Objective?

Chiaki and Hajime were talking in the corner while the rest of their class celebrated the death of Junko Enoshima.

Or at least Hajime was trying to. Chiaki was being rather quiet.

"I know the threats are not over yet. And who knows if she's actually dead or not?" He muttered.

Chiaki nodded slightly.

"Clearly something fishy is going on... Makoto wouldn't say something like that... and that video feels like it's been edited to say something else..."

Chiaki only nodded again.

"You okay, Nanami?"

Chiaki stared at him for a second, "Yeah I'm fine, just thinking..."

"But who's behind all of these problems we've been having? We need to take them out somehow so we can end this madness."

Chiaki fidgeted and pulled her hood over her head, looking down.

Hajime was confused, "What's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry..."

"What-" Hajime began, but stopped himself. Chiaki's words had brought a thought to him. He stared at her. This wasn't right. There was no way, "You don't mean-"

Chiaki stared at him with sorry eyes. She nodded and looked down at the floor, attempting to cover her face with her hood.

"No that's not true..."

The Ultimate Imposter placed a hand on Hajime's shoulder.

"Lets go."

Hajime looked over at him, "What, why?"

He didn't get an answer, he was dragged away, leaving Chiaki in the corner.

"Makoto we were so worried!" Asahina ran up to him, but before she could even lay a hand on him, Maki blocked her.

"He's not himself." She said, starring Aoi in the eye.

"Oh... right..."

Aoi stepped back. The others were there too. They all just stared at Makoto.

Makoto was looking at each of them, a small smirk on his face.

"So they really are back, hm?" He looked at them all, "Oh look, even Komaru. Nice job, I have to hand it to you guys... This new technology... interesting..."

He muttered on and on to himself. The others were getting nervous, all except Byakuya.

"Makoto, I suggest you quit your ranting. It's quite annoying." He stated.

"Why should I do that?" Makoto asked him, "I don't think I take orders from you people."

"Makoto that's not a nice thing to say..." Asahina murmured.

"So what? It's stupid really. Nothing is nice anymore."

"That's enough chatter. I'm bringing him back to his cell, then you guys can talk." Maki growled. She dragged him away.

"He's a-acting really weird..." Toko mentioned.

"What do you expect?" Kyoko asked, coming out from her hiding spot, "He's a remnant of despair. He isn't Naegi. He's just a shell for Enoshima to fill in."

"Hey! I k-know that!"

Komaru watched as the door closed behind Maki, "He used to be the optimistic one. Now he's just crazy."

"H-How are we g-going to fix h-him? It seems i-impossible..." Toko yelled in rage.

"I thought we established that," Kyoko said blankly, "You guys are going to help him step by step. Anyways, Harukawa should be done by now. Let's go."

They tensed and walked through the door.

Makoto was in his cell, smiling at them with his dark green eyes. He pressed a hand to his face.

"It seems we can finally talk, hm?" He muttered, "How fun. Gosh, half of you look just like the detective. Purple in the face."

They each went up to the bars. Kyoko stayed at the back wall, glaring at him.

"So tell me," He looked over them, "How do you plan to 'fix' me?"

Komaru hesitated, "I don't know... we figured just being around again and talking would work..."

"Then talk." Makoto stated. His smile was gone again. "What kind of technology can bring the dead back to life?"

"I thought you already knew..." Asahina sighed, "but it's kind of like Alter Ego. We are programs that act like the real people..."

"...Programs... How are you even powered?" He asked, tilting his head.

"A lever on a massive generator." Komaru noted, "It's pretty cool."

"Okay then. Memory test!" Makoto's smile was back, "What's the last thing you remember before waking up here?"

A moment of silence.

"Dust... lots of dust..." Asahina hesitated.

"B-Blood! M-Masters blood was on t-the ground!" Toko shrieked, then collapsed onto the floor.

Komaru stared sadly at Toko, "Pain."

Byakuya and Mitarai were silent. Byakuya glared at Makoto and Mitarai simply shook where he stood.

Toko was back on her feet. She screamed and grabbed at her neck.

"The hell is this thing?! Why won't it come off?"

"Syo we've already explained that!" Komaru yelled at her.

"Ughhh why can't you just take it off already?"

"You'll die!"

"I remember you, Genocide Jack." Makoto murmured, "Excuse the rude awakening, I was just proving a point."

"What point?" Asahina asked.

Makoto grinned, "You all remember your deaths. Wasn't the despair great? Didn't you feel how good it was?"

"What? No!" Komaru claimed, "It was terrible!"

"Yet you can talk about it as if it were nothing." Makoto started, "Are you all as emotionless as the detective? Do you really feel anything, Programs?"

"What are you-"

"That's enough," Kyoko stated loudly, "We're done talking here. You'll see him later."

Kyoko turned and opened the door for them. Byakuya walked out, followed by Toko and Mitarai. Asahina and Komaru hesitated.

"But-"

Kyoko shook her head, "We're done for now."

They gloomily walked out. Kyoko made to leave.

"Geez, what's up with you?" Makoto whispered, "Were you always so heartless?'

Kyoko paused. She stared at the door.

"Silence again. Does that mean I'm right?" Makoto laughed, "You're a terrible person, Detective."

She slammed the door shut. She should have done that sooner, not hung around. Why were her emotions strangling her so much these past few months. She had to regain control.

She quickly hurried to catch up with the others.