15. Ultimate Suffering

Suicidal trigger warning! Read with caution!

Kyoko starred as she watched Maki and the others drag Mikan out of Hope's peak. She had come out of hiding when V3 tried moving Junko Enoshima's program. Now they were taking her hostage.

All of the offline programs, dented and distorted by the hammer, had come back to life, as Maki had predicted. The programs however, had been locked up inside a high security facility, and had been checked for weapons. They could not access the network, break down the walls or floor, or talk to actually living things.

V3 had tried to 'fix' the good programs and incorruptible them. Currently, that was not going so well. They'd at least managed to get Chihiro online, and he would be a big help once they made sure he was safe.

Aoi, Byakuya, Toko and Komaru were beginning to show signs of movement. Mitarai had not been salvageable, for he had been crushed to bits by the sheer weight of the other programs 'hugging' him. This was also the reason Hagakure hadn't been revived, crushed by the collapsing walls.

Kyoko looked over everything with V3, making sure they didn't miss anything. Luckily, no one in the group had been majorly injured, though a few had minor fractures.

The only one who was closest to death was Makoto. He hadn't woken up since he passed out in the gym a couple of weeks ago. That's what it seemed like, however. He could just be getting up whenever no one was around.

Kyoko was uncertain why he wouldn't wake up when they were around. She was beginning to get anxious, though she wouldn't show it. The feeling was familiar to her, but it didn't make it any better.

She stayed by his bed whenever she could. If she had work to do that she could bring around with her, she sat in a chair across the room. Now, watching Maki put restraints on the struggling nurse, she wondered if Milan could help Makoto, if she ever turned back to hope. It was unlikely, but it was a possibility. Any positive possibilities for Makoto were good.

There was one thing she could never seem to forgive herself for, though. She had hesitated as she watched her copy protecting J1n's program. She hadn't realized at the time, but that program was meant to act exactly like her, so would she have gone to save him? Would the roles have reversed?

Unsolved questions would not help her anxiety. She knew she must ignore them for now. Why waste time worrying when your friend needs you?

Friend...

She shoved her thoughts out of her head and moved to help Maki.

Start showing emotions like that and my career is done for.

They dragged the nurse into their helicopter and flew into the sky.

When they arrived back at HQ, an unsettling feeling crept up her spine. She tried not to shudder as she and Maki lead Mikan to a cell before they would begin their procedure.

If they had any chance to help Makoto, it would be with Milan's help. However, Mikan in despair was not going to help their cause. Somehow, they had to give her the will to turn back to hope.

However, Mikan had began acting strangely since she got inside the building. She had stopped fighting them and was now laughing her head off, muttering to herself.

Since Shuichi was busy helping V3, Kyoko was left to help Mikan and Makoto. Kyoko didn't mind. If anything, she felt a strong urge to help Makoto that she was uncertain of the origin for the movement.

First, she had to help Mikan. Her sense of dread did not go away. It only increased.

"Hee Hee... ha ha ha..." Mikan laughed to herself.

"What's so funny?" Kyoko asked her blankly. Somehow Mikan was able to see past her feigned calmness, and beneath that mask of iron.

"Are you scared?" Mikan faced Kyoko in all seriousness, "...You should be... you never know what can happen to a person while you're not around..."

"What does that mean?" Kyoko tried hiding her concern but was once again unsuccessful.

"It means that your going to lose, Detective." Mikan stared at Kyoko eerily, "You haven't won this battle of yours."

"How?" Kyoko felt her voice grow more urgent, "What's going on?"

"Oh, I'm not allowed to tell you that..." Milan giggled, "You have to figure it out! Aren't you the one who solves mysteries and stuff?"

Kyoko stared at Mikan. She didn't detect any signs of lie behaviors. She began to wonder what it could be.

Then she heard it.

Footsteps.

But not regular footsteps, no.

These were very familiar footsteps.

Kyoko's eyes widened.

"Naegi-"

Mikan giggled loudly.

Kyoko slowly turned around.

Makoto Naegi stood there, holding a gun in his hand. His eyes were full of mixed emotion. Blood dripped down his face.

Drip. Drop. Drip.

Mikan giggled to herself.

Possibilities tan through Kyoko's head by instinct.

...Walked over... stood.... grabbed gun... attacked... freed... video recording....

Her mind raced through all the possibilities, all the chances.

"You're too late!" Mikan laughed, "It's finished!"

Makoto simply stared blankly as he pointed the gun at Kyoko.

'Naegi- what's the purpose of this?" Kyoko asked, almost urgently, "What happened?"

Makoto smiled. A small, twisted smile. Had Kyoko been wrong the entire time? Was Makoto really filled with despair now? For how long? What had happened?

Makoto's smile broke and he collapsed onto the ground, blood continuing to pour out of his head, which he had ripped the bandages off of. He continued to clutch the gun while attempting to raise himself off of the ground.

"Naegi, this is not your usual behavior," Kyoko murmured, noticing the panic only just detectable in her voice, "Explain to me what has happened."

Makoto stared at her from the ground, he slowly dragged his hand across the ground and passed the gun to Kyoko.

"Help..." he whispered, "I don't want... to live...like this..."

"Naegi, I'm not doing that," Kyoko stared down at him, eyes wide, "What's happening?"

"Th-they... they......." Makoto's voice died as he tensed up and then cried out in pain.

Kyoko watched as she saw multiple cuts appear all over his body. Her instincts kicked in at last, she kicked the gun away and ran over to Makoto. She lifted him up and carried him back to the bed he had been resting in. Quickly and silently, she attempted to cover each of the bleeding slashes cut into his skin.

Her mind quickly destroyed many possibilities at once. She knew who was behind this. The moment she was satisfied, she raced over to the stairs leading down to the cells. She met up with Shuichi along the way, muttered to him that he should keep careful watch over Naegi, and continued running until she got to the last cell, where the programs were kept.

She threw the door open as quick as she could and she locked it behind her just as fast. She turned to face Junk0 and Haj1me, cutting into Makot0's metal skin in the exact spots Makoto had his injuries. Kyok0 and J1n held him to the wall in case his programming told him to struggle.

"Stop this," Kyoko nearly shouted, giving them a glare almost worthy of Maki's, "Your making a mistake doing this."

"Your wrong..." Makot0 murmered, he twitched a tiny bit, "This is... what we... what I, want. If I remain alive, the... hope of this world will live only... to suffer."

"But why?" Kyoko asked, "Why must he? What is your reasoning for this?"

"Simple," Makot0 looked up at Kyoko, smiling that smile, eyes glinting red, "He is human."