Afterglow

For a long time afterwards, there was nothing but silence. The two laid there, both naked and confused. Being intimate was supposed to be a deeply moving experience, or so they thought. Then again, it was their first time together. For one, their first time with someone intersex. He wasn't even sure if he should utter that word to him.

Eventually, Dennis looked over at John, who kept his eyes on the ceiling. He finally said, "That was... interesting."

Hearing this, worry rolled through John like a chilled, dark wave. Did he do something wrong? Did he look wrong? Soon, the uncertainty made him feel insecure and prompted him to pull the sheets up to his neck. He rolled onto his side, eyeing him apprehensively. "Was it not good?"

"What?" Dennis' voice stretched high, almost as if he was hurt. "No. No, it's just– I wasn't expecting that."

John loosened up, only slightly, and asked in jest, "What, and extra hole?"

"Well, yeah," he replied, nervously laughing, then chose his next words carefully. "I mean, I'm not offended by it. I've heard of... that, but never–"

"Well, I've never had anything slid– No, no, shoved up there before, so we're even."

"Sorry," A nice shade of scarlet graced Dennis' cheeks. "It was a tight fit. You're not bleeding, are you?"

"Umm," John felt around gingerly. When he brought his hand up again, some drops of red showed. "A little, but it should heal."

"I hope so. Does it... function?"

The look John gave him was one of those looks people would get when they were spoken to in a different language. "What?"

"Either one set of... you know... works and the other doesn't. So, which one does?"

"I don't know," he answered, becoming irate. "Why are we even talking about that?"

Dennis rolled out of bed and as he slipped on his boxers, he said, "I'm just curious. If you're not comfortable talking about it, I'll drop it. I will say, though, I feel amazing right now."

John's voice came as soft as his gaze. "You felt amazing."

In mild deprecation, Dennis rolled his eyes, but seeing how lovable and sweet John was in that moment, he had to chuckle with genuine mirth. Dennis jerked his head at the doctor's coat John left on the floor. "I take it from the white coat that you were working?" he ventured.

He did a double-take on it, snickering, up until realisation struck him harder than a shot of whiskey. "Oh, shit!" John scrambled to get dressed.

A hearty laugh wheezed out of Dennis' mouth. "Look, why don't you just stay here?"

"Are you kidding me?" John demanded. "Weaver was already pissed off at me for leaving in the first place. It's been–" He picked up his watch and glanced at it. "Thirty minutes?!" he shrieked.

"Twenty of that was us lying there, spacing out," Dennis stated. "Seriously, stay. I want you to."

"Oh," he uttered and put a hand to his chest, nearly brought to happy tears. Temptation overwhelmed him, but he quickly waved it off like some kind of annoying bug buzzing around him. "No, no, no. I have to leave now before I don't leave at all."

"Okay," Though Dennis nodded along, he still wasn't convinced he should go, especially after what happened the last time he was here, with a fast heart rate and subsequently passing out. Regardless of how he felt, he kept quiet. "Drive safe."

John donned an appreciative smile. "I'll come by when I get off."

"You mean you didn't thirty minutes ago?" Dennis asked, simpering.