It's a Wonderful Strife

Jack, John's father, paced in a straight line in front of him and Dennis, while the two were perched beside each other on the edge of his bed. John was starting to get dizzy just watching him move back and forth. Or maybe it was something else entirely, making him light-headed and queasy. Either way, it might have been better if he kept the fact that they had sex out of the discussion.

John asked, "Are you going to say anything, or...?"

"I'm thinking," Jack tersely responded. It proved to be an arduous task, finding the right words. In the end, the only thing he could think of was, "What were you thinking? You're a doctor! I don't need to tell you that AIDS is still a very real and ever-present threat."

"No, you don't, but we used precautions. Besides, he's clean," A second passed before John turned to Dennis and confirmed, "You are, right?"

"Uh... I guess?" Dennis shrugged. "I've never been tested."

Jack threw up his hands in frustration. "Oh, great."

"Apart from a few flings in high-school, I've only ever been with Monique," Noting the confused expression on Jack's face, Dennis explained, "My ex."

Luckily, the thought occurred to him he might need an HIV test, so he had Peter send his blood up for it and a pregnancy test. Dennis, however? He'd have to get his done either elsewhere or in private. No way was John going to screw him over by having someone at County do it. Dennis drove him crazy, but not that much that he would do something vindictive.

John grabbed hold of Dennis' hand. "Dad, if you have a problem with us–"

"I don't," he quickly interjected. Second thoughts then prodded at him like an annoying little brother, and he stopped pacing entirely. "Maybe? I don't know. I– When did this happen?"

"I told you, almost a week ago."

"Right, right," he mumbled, shuffling toward the window. Jack stared out of it, wondering what to do with this information. What could anyone do, except be supportive? He wanted to be, and he would be eventually, he believed, but right now, this was a lot to take in. He had so many questions, he didn't know where to start. So, instead, he took a moment to think.

Dennis finally spoke up for his own and John's sake. "If it helps, we're not just screwing around," He gazed over at John as though asking if he should continue. A half-smile from him was enough of an answer. "We want to be together, just... have some things to work out."

That grabbed Jack's attention. He wheeled around, staring at John, who seemed to be getting sleepy, then at Dennis, who had started worrying, fidgeting noticeably. "You guys are serious then?"

In unison, they nodded, turning to each other and smiling. It was the first time either of really had a thought about their relationship. A few minutes here and there, but nothing more. Funny how it took a crazy Christmas Eve with John's uptight, protestant family for them to be so relaxed, so confident to be able to admit it and be themselves, fully and openly.

Then it went quiet again, only the muffled sounds of the party downstairs made it through, until the beep, beep, beep of John's pager cut in. It startled each of them, but John more so than the others, being as half-asleep as he was.

John scrambled to get the small electronic device out so he could see it. Once he accomplished that, he scrutinised the number on the screen with narrowed eyes. It wasn't a number he recognised.

"What is it, an emergency?" Dennis leaned over to get a view.

"No, it's–" Benton, he finished in his head. It's gotta be. Ever so slightly, his eyes widened, nerves getting stronger. A quick glance led to his father, who didn't seem to notice how anxious he was. Stammering every other word, he said, "I, uh– I-I-I gotta take this."