Untitled Fable

Summary: Draco is attacked by a werewolf during a stakeout mission alone. Not sure where else to go or what to do in his delirious state, he ends up apparating to the doorstep of his partner's apartment in the middle of the night. Hermione is not thrilled.

Hermione had had every intention of going to bed early that night. She'd had dinner as soon as she got back from the auror's office then settled down to read shortly before bed. Unfortunately, her one cup of tea had been refilled twice and she was now hours past the time she'd intended to go to bed at. At this point, she only had one more chapter left in her book and she didn't see what harm could come in finishing it now, so she heated her cold tea and adjusted herself on the sofa.

She was so invested in her book she screamed when someone suddenly apparated into her living room.

"Hey, Granger," Draco groaned before collapsing in front of her.

Her book now forgotten, Hermione jumped off the sofa and dropped to her knees beside Draco. He groaned as she rolled him over, but didn't open his eyes. His skin was feverish and he had several cuts and scratches up and down his arms. His robes were torn and he had blood coming from a gash on his forehead.

"Draco? Draco, talk to me!" she yelled, shaking him until he groaned. "What happened?"

The last she'd known, he'd been on a stake-out mission near the Scotland border. He'd offered to go alone when it became obvious no one else had wanted to join him. No one enjoyed stake-out missions, but Draco always seemed to volunteer when he had the option. Clearly, the stake-out hadn't gone smoothly as he was now bleeding out on Hermione's freshly cleaned carpetting.

"Werewolf," Draco gasped. His hand grabbed hers tightly and Hermione's eyes widened.

"There was a werewolf?" she shrieked. Draco flinched at the sound, but Hermione was too glad he hadn't drifted off again to care. "You should have called me! What were you thinking?"

Draco blinked at her and smiled lazily, reaching up to tug on a loose curl by her face.

"You're pretty," he said dreamily. Hermione panicked even more. She struggled to get him on his feet and haul him over to her fireplace.

"I'm gonna take you to St. Mungo's," she told him. He didn't respond and Hermione glanced at him to see he was unconscious again. Hastily, she grabbed a handful of Floo powder and yelled for St. Mungo's. She held onto Draco's limp body tightly and collapsed on the floor when they finally landed.

"Miss?" a healer asked. Hermione lifted her head and the healer gasped. "Miss Granger! Are you alright? What's happened?"

"Draco," she said, heaving him up awkwardly. The healer immediately levitated him onto a stretcher and yelled for others to join her.

"What happened?" the healer asked, dragging Hermione with her down the hall.

"I don't—I don't know," Hermione answered. The healer glanced at her and Hermione flushed. "He was alone on a stake-out mission before he apparated to my apartment. He said something about a werewolf, but passed out after."

The healers held her back as they rushed Draco past the operating doors and Hermione stared after them. The healer that had met her first gently took her hand and guided her back to the waiting room.

"I'll come get you as soon as he's stable," she promised, helping Hermione sit down. "You shouldn't be alone while you wait, though. Is there anyone I should call for you?"

Hermione started to shake her head then stopped and nodded instead. It was the middle of the night and she knew he had an early morning meeting, but Harry was exactly what she needed right now.