Tea With the Malfoys

Summary: Hermione always knew Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy hated her and her kind, but she was never one to back down from a challenge. When Draco announces his parents insist on meeting with his fiance, Hermione is wary but accepts. If only she'd feigned sickness.

No-war AU.

Draco watched Hermione fret over her outfit from the doorway for a few more seconds before stepping into the room. As soon as he moved, she jumped and looked at him. Her face turned red and she smoothed out her sundress as Draco walked toward her and gently took her hand.

"You look nervous," Draco teased. Hermione rolled her eyes, but let him pull her to his chest. He kissed the side of her head and she leaned into the touch. "I'll be with you the entire time, I swear."

He knew how his parents were going to react and he knew leaving Hermione for even a minute could put her in danger. His father had been strict and hadn't refrained from hitting when he was upset. The last thing he wanted to do was bring Hermione into his family home and watch his father berate and belittle her, but it had to be done. He needed to tell them before the wedding if he wanted to have any semblance of control.

"It's just tea," Hermione said, though he was certain it was more to herself than to him. "I'll be okay."

They remained hugging for a few minutes before the clock chimed, informing them it was time to go. Draco pulled back first, grabbing Hermione's hand and walking to the Floo. With the wards around the Manor, Hermione couldn't apparate which left only the Floo as a transport method.

"It's just an hour," Draco reminded her, grabbing a handful of Floo powder. He kept ahold of Hermione's hand tightly as he called out for Malfoy Manor and pulled her into the fireplace behind him.

After a couple of seconds of spinning and twisting, they were let out in the drawing room and Draco used his wand to get rid of the ash and dust that hung on their clothes and skin. His parents weren't in sight, but he could hear his mother's heels clicking down the hall. The sound of the Floo had alerted them.

Sure enough, a second later, both Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy stepped into the drawing room. Narcissa smiled at the sight of her son, but stopped abruptly when she spotted Hermione standing beside him.

"Hello," Draco said politely. Hermione squeezed his hand tighter and gave his parents a kind smile. "This is Hermione Granger, though I'm sure you—"

"What is she doing here?" Lucius demanded. Hermione's eyes widened as he raised his voice but Draco didn't flinch. "I said to bring your girlfriend, not your pet."

Hermione wouldn't lie, that stung a bit. She had expected as much, however, and didn't react to Lucius's words. Draco, on the other hand, looked combustible.

"Hermione is my fiancée," Draco said through gritted teeth. "And if you cannot respect her, we will leave."

Lucius and Narcissa stared at them for a full minute. Hermione wanted to shift uncomfortably, but she worried any movement might be what sent Lucius into an attack on her. Instead, she remained stiff and still at Draco's side and waited for the staring to finish.

"Welcome," Narcissa said eventually. It was stiff and clearly Hermione was not actually welcome, but she appreciated the change.

Narcissa stepped forward with her arms outstretched and Draco released her hand just long enough to hug his mother. As soon as Narcissa stepped back, Draco's hand was back in Hermione's. Thankfully, Narcissa didn't attempt to hug Hermione. She gave her a tight smile instead and offered to show Hermione to the tea room. Hermione looked at Draco, panicked about what to do as Narcissa waited for her to follow.